Hello, Bleachers. My name is Eric Kanes...but you already know that. Hopefully.
Anyway, WrestleMania is just a month and a half away and the card is still undetermined. I will give my thoughts on what matches WWE should put on with explanations for each match.
Now, those of you that know how I roll will know that this is not a fantasy fan card. This is legitimately how I think WWE should book the show so with that said, there will be no Sting and no Shawn Michaels on the card. I know that a lot of people are anticipating Sting's signing and Michaels' potential return for one last match but this is only for wrestlers that are under contract. And now, without any further ado, here is what WrestleMania 27 should look like.
- Although Cena headlining WrestleMania has gotten stale, is there really a better option? This match is a given as it is one of the fresher high-profile matches that WWE can provide.
- This match needs to be built up as a "make it or break it" match for The Miz. The Miz needs to emphasize the fact that he's already become a bigger celebrity than Cena as he has done all sorts of media since he won the title while Cena has only appeared in a couple low budget, straight-to-DVD movies. The Miz needs to say that he will become the face of WWE after he defeats Cena.
- Since this will be the most watched PPV of the year, Miz needs to solidify himself as a main eventer. He needs to go over Cena here. I'd also have him win at Extreme Rules since it will probably be a No DQ match. Have Cena get the "feel good" victory at Over the Limit.
- I don't know who the guest host will be but if it's a former wrestler such as The Rock or Stone Cold, have The Miz cut a promo about how he's now the greatest superstar in the history of WWE. Have them come out, take him down with the Stunner or Rock Bottom, and send the crowd home happy.
- The story here needs to be that it comes down to Randy Orton vs. CM Punk, one on one. Orton needs to take out the other members of Nexus on the road to WrestleMania. However, it shouldn't be every week to make it too predictable and it shouldn't just be with the RKO. Be creative with it. Space the attacks out and have them come at unexpected times.
- It's hard to say who should go over here. Most of my card is dominated by heels so I'll say that Orton wins. Unlike guys like The Miz, Wade Barrett, and Sheamus, CM Punk has already solidified his spot in the main event.
- This match is already set up, but it's the most challenging to book. I don't think that Del Rio is ready for this. Somebody suggested that Christian should cost Edge the match and that Christian & Edge should feud but that would just take away from Del Rio's win.
- If I had to book this, I'd have Del Rio build up his character on the weeks leading up to WrestleMania talking about how it was his destiny to win the Royal Rumble and how it is his destiny to win the world title and become the greatest of the greats.
- Have him win the world title at Mania after Edge makes a mistake. Make sure to give Del Rio an over the top celebration with confetti. Then, on the following SmackDown, have him host a fiesta (a real one this time, not just with a pinata) and have Edge & Christian crash the party. He could feud with them both leading up to Extreme Rules. If Christian is involved in this way, then it won't overshadow Del Rio's win too much.
- Here's how the match would look - Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Ezekiel Jackson vs. Skip Sheffield vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. R-Truth vs. Rey Mysterio vs. John Morrison.
- I know that Rey Mysterio is supposed to face Cody Rhodes, but there is simply no room for this match on the card. Have Cody sell the facial injury and have them feud leading up to Extreme Rules. It'll do more for Cody if they have a 20 minute match there after some solid build-up then if they have a 5 minute match here which would be overshadowed by all the other matches.
- The story here is that Skip Sheffield returns sometime after Elimination Chamber as a face, but The Corre wants him to join the group. He teases that he'll join the group but says that he'll make his decision at WrestleMania.
- During the match, have all members of The Corre, including Sheffield, wearing a Corre shirt and have them dominate the others for most of the match. Eventually, have R-Truth, Rey Mysterio, & John Morrison team up against them and do their big spots on them.
- Towards the end of the match, have Truth, Ziggler, Mysterio, & Morrison out. Skip Sheffield tries to climb the ladder but Justin Gabriel stops him and The Corre begins arguing with him. Sheffield then rips his Corre shirt off, takes down Slater & Gabriel, and spears Ezekiel Jackson. Have Sheffield go over.
- I know I'll probably get called out for booking Sheffield to win this match, but look at it this way. The WWE wants to push Sheffield as the #2 babyface of the company, behind John Cena. Can he get there? I don't know. But I'll tell you this — he is no worse in the ring or on the mic than the likes of Batista & Randy Orton. On NXT, he got some pretty big crowd reactions as a face. He has everything it takes to become a star in WWE if he can get over.
- Another reason that I'd give him the win is because there is really nobody better. Some will argue that Morrison is, but he just can't work the mic to save his life. Until he improves in that area, he cannot take the next step. Other than Morrison, nobody is remotely ready which is why I went with Skip Sheffield.
- I'd have Sheffield hold the briefcase for about 7-8 months as a face. Eventually, have one of the heel world champions come out and cut a promo saying that they have beaten everyone there is to beat. Then, have Sheffield come out and cash in. It'd be something refreshing for a change since he wouldn't just take advantage of them when they're down.
- Not a fan of the Undertaker vs. Triple H with Shawn Michaels as referee idea. Even though I'm not even considering Sting for this card since he's not under contract, I'm not a fan of that idea either. It may get people to mark out for a few weeks, but it will do nothing in the long term and it will leave Barrett & Sheamus without a proper WrestleMania feud.
- To start "2-21-11", have The Corre come out and say that tonight is their night as all four members will qualify for Money in the Bank. Morrison comes out and says that they are not welcome on RAW and that he will gladly send them back to where they came from. The main event is John Morrison vs. Wade Barrett in a MiTB qualifier.
- Mid-match, Wade Barrett is dominating when the lights go out and the "2-21-11" promo plays once again. The lights come back on and Barrett is confused, yelling at the referee. He turns around and takes a Flash Kick. Morrison wins the match and starts celebrating. The Corre then comes into the ring, beats down John Morrison, and stands over him. The lights go out again and when they come back on, Morrison is gone and The Undertaker is there. Taker sits up and takes all four members down, culminating with him hitting the tombstone on Barrett. This sets up the match at WrestleMania.
- At WrestleMania, I'd have Barrett go over. Yes, I would have Wade Barrett end the Undertaker's streak because while the streak may mean the world to the IWC, it really does not mean that much. Undertaker will go down as a legend with or without the streak which is why it should not be wasted. Have Barrett win with the help of The Corre. I can only imagine the heat that he'd get afterwards.
- The story here is simple. Triple H finally returns at Elimination Chamber and costs Sheamus the match. I know that it's not the best idea since The Undertaker's return would be the next night, but Triple H should have honestly returned a lot sooner. Now he just needs to return as soon as possible to start building up his WrestleMania match.
- Following Elimination Chamber, put Triple H in matches against guys like Ted DiBiase or Dolph Ziggler. Have Triple H go over, obviously, but have the heels dominate the majority of the match to make it look like Triple H has some ring rust.
- Have Sheamus put over the fact that he nearly ended his career last time and there is nothing stopping him this time since Triple H is weakened.
- Have Sheamus go over at Mania. He has been buried since winning the King of the Ring tournament and desperately needs a big win. Of course, have Triple H pick up the win at Extreme Rules to not make it look like Triple H is completely weak.
- The midcard is officially dead on both RAW and SmackDown. WWE is unifying all the other titles so they might as well unify the Intercontinental and US titles.
- It doesn't really matter who goes over; just give these two a twenty minute match and let them go all out.
- I'll give the nod to Daniel Bryan. Once Del Rio is finished with Edge and possibly Christian, he can move on to a feud with Kofi Kingston.
- Have The Miz go over Lawler at Elimination Chamber leaving Lawler upset that he cannot compete at WrestleMania. On the next RAW, he can talk about how it's always been his dream to compete on the grandest stage of them all. Cue Ted DiBiase who says that Lawler is the reason that he's been on a losing streak and that his girlfriend dumped him. DiBiase says that Lawler ended his relationship and now he will end Lawler's career. So basically, DiBiase agrees to give Lawler a match at WrestleMania as long as his career is on the line.
- Have DiBiase go over. I recently wrote an article about this but to sum it up, Jerry Lawler just does not have it anymore and he ends up hurting RAW more often than helping it with his commentary. He can easily be replaced by Matt Striker or even someone else, who is a much better option. If you want to find out who or if you want to read the article, there is a link to it below.
- The Diva's title does not need to be involved. I know that this most likely will not happen as both are former TNA wrestlers and WWE loves to throw all the divas into one big match at WrestleMania, but let's see how it should go down.
- Gail Kim defeats The Bella Twins in a handicap match on RAW and tells them to back off. The Bella Twins say that they will seek vengeance for what she did to them. Cue Awesome Kong who debuts as a monster heel and destroys Gail Kim.
- Let them have a competitive match at WrestleMania. It doesn't really matter who wins. I know that this is a long shot but this is the best option for the stale Diva's division right now.
- Why not? Kane & Big Show have nothing better to do so they can come up with a storyline where they decide to become the most dominant tag team...again. Have them quickly go over and start giving the tag team division some credibility again. Santino & Kozlov can go back to being a comedy act on RAW.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I would book WrestleMania 27. What do you fellas think? Do you agree with the booking? Would you do something differently? Feel free to post your own card in the comment section. If you enjoyed this column, then tune in on Friday night when I will debut my review of SmackDown called "Smack Talk" but until then, I am out.