Matchmaking in major MMA promotions is much more difficult than meets the eye.
There are a laundry list of factors to consider by prominent matchmakers like Joe Silva (UFC), Sean Shelby (WEC) and Rich Chou (Strikeforce).
- Will both fighters sign on the dotted line?
- Does the timing work out?
- What has each fighter done recently?
- Is it too much, too soon for the developing prospect?
- What type of fight is likely produced given the style of each fighter?
- How does this potentially affect the title picture?
These are merely a handful of the questions that must be asked when brainstorming potential matchups.
Over the next few months a lot of fights have already been announced, but a good number are still in development behind the scenes.
Allow me to speculate on 10 potential fights to target in the foreseeable future that make sense from both the organizational and the individual fighter’s perspectives.
Derek Bolender is a freelance MMA writer who has contributed to CBSSports.com, FIGHT! Magazine, and MMAmania.com (in addition to BleacherReport.com). Follow him on Twitter at @DerekBolender.