Not only did the Sabres hurt the Rangers the other day by beating them 5-2 , but they also hurt them last night when they beat the Boston Bruins 3-1. That’s because the Bruins were just one point ahead of the Rangers in the standings, but now they’re three.
To make things worse consider this: Sabres goalie Ryan Miller, started the other night and played brilliantly, as he held the Rangers to just two goals.
Then last night the Sabres started their backup goalie Patrick Lalime, making it much easier for the Bruins to beat them. Thanks Buffalo.
Luckily for the Rangers, the Montreal Canadiens lost and they have just one game left to play.
Here are the latest standings:
No. Six: Boston—87 points—37 wins—two games remaining
No Seven: Montreal—87 points—39 wins—one game remaining
No. Eight: Philadelphia—86 points—40 wins—two games remaining
No Nine: Rangers—84 points—37 wins—two games remaining
No 10. Atlanta—81 points—34 wins—two games remaining
So, how can the Rangers make the playoffs? Here are the scenarios:
- Rangers beat the Flyers twice in regulation. 88 points – Rangers, 86 – Philly.
- Rangers beat the Flyers twice, once in regulation. 88 points – Rangers, 87 points – Philly.
- Rangers beat the Flyers twice, but go to OT in both. Montreal loses final game in regulation. 88 points – Rangers, 88 points – Flyers, 87 points – Canadiens.
- Rangers beat the Flyers twice, but go to OT in both. Boston loses final two games in regulation. 88 points – Rangers, 88 points – Flyers, 87 points – Boston.
- Rangers win twice in OT. Bruins lose both of their games, but one reaches OT. Rangers and Bruins both finish with 88 points, but Rangers make the playoffs because they have an advantage 39 wins> 37 wins.
- Rangers win only once, but make it to OT in another game and Montreal loses their final game in regulation.
If the Rangers lose once in regulation they are out. If they win both in regulation they are in. That’s the bottom line. Their destiny is in their hands. The other teams can help them out, but they can win this and lose this entirely on their own.
Most Commented Posts
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!