Mets shortstop Jose Reyes could be sidelined until May or June, according to new reports coming out of spring training today.
He has not played since March 4, when he was sent back to New York for medical tests, and while it was initially thought his overactive thyroid wouldn't prove too much of a distraction, it has now emerged that he may not even resume playing baseball for eight weeks.
With Carlos Beltran out for the start of the year, it's a big loss to be without the speedy infielder for an extended period of time.
An AP report, published on ESPN.com, said Reyes has been told to rest until his thyroid levels return to normal. He has also been told to change his diet.
The official statement from the Mets read: "As prescribed by the doctors and specialists, Jose's treatment plan is to rest, refrain from athletic activity and make changes in his diet. The doctors will monitor Jose's thyroid levels through regular blood tests. Once Jose's thyroid levels return to normal, he will be cleared to resume baseball activities."
USA Today says that although he could miss just a few weeks, there is the possibility of him missing the first 40 games or so. The outlook for Opening Day is not good.
It's a little unusual to hear of such a wide range of dates—anything from two weeks to two months— but nobody really knows how quickly Reyes will recover.
He says he's fine and that he hasn't really noticed any problems, but he knows this is nothing like his leg injury from last year; this is about his long-term health, and there's no room for risks.
While he will be set to go once the elevated thyroid levels drop, it means Jerry Manuel will have to chop and change with his lineup over the early part of the year.
Luis Castillo will likely take over the leadoff role at the top of the Mets lineup until Reyes is fit.