He had a great collegiate career at a non-powerhouse school in Ohio, was the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft, and is already a two-time Super Bowl winner. And he accomplished these feats with zero flash (that can be a good thing).
"Big Ben" could be a hero to "middle America." But there is also a troubling side to Ben: He might very well be an idiot.
I actually hope he is just an idiot. He could also be a criminal.
The idiot resume:
- Despite repeated pleadings from his coach to wear a helmet while riding his motorcycle, Ben refuses. He promptly crashes the bike a few months after his first Super Bowl victory. He receives career-threatening injuries, including a severe concussion and a broken face. Needless to say, a helmet might have helped.
- Multiple photos like the one above have surfaced on the Internet. Is it really appropriate for a public figure to get trashed in public? No, not if you don't want people calling you an idiot.
- Sexual assault allegations in July 2009. I suppose "hooking up" is one of the perks of being a wealthy, single professional athlete. But in the times in which we're living, you have to use your brain. If you have consensual sex with a stranger, there are steps you should immediately take to prove it was fun for all. The outcome of a civil suit is still pending.
- Equates a concussion with a bruise on his shoulder last season. Ben dismissed all the "hub bub" about concussions by simply saying "It's a violent, physical contact sport, and there's a chance you're going to get hit. [The media] don't talk about the bruises we have all over our bodies. If I showed you a bruise on my shoulder and a bruise on my shin, it wouldn't get talked about as much." HELLO! The brain is not located in the shin!
- More sexual assault allegations surface on March 5 of this year. This time, it is alleged that Ben assaulted a girl (at 20 years old, she is still just a kid) inside the women's restroom at a college bar. The investigation is ongoing.