Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller was hit with the exclusive franchise tag earlier this offseason, but he and the team agreed on a deal that will keep the Super Bowl MVP in Denver on a long-term basis.
Continue for updates.
Miller Signs with Broncos
Friday, July 15
Miller announced on Twitter that he signed a new deal with the Broncos on Friday:
FOR LIFE pic.twitter.com/ayvzpJ1WZh— Von Miller (@Millerlite40) July 15, 2016
Citing a "source with knowledge of the situation," Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk reported Thursday that the Broncos "are hopeful that a deal will be done, and they believe that a lot of progress has been made."
According to Adam Caplan of ESPN, the $70 million mark in guarantees was a goal for Miller when negotiations began in June.
On Tuesday, Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported the Broncos believed they were getting closer to a deal with Miller and that the subject of trading Miller had come up "only in passing."
Miller May Hold Out If Broncos Can't Complete New Deal
Wednesday, July 13
According to Rand Getlin of the NFL Network, the threat of Miller sitting out the entire 2016 season was "very real," adding it's not "something that the Broncos necessarily want to call his bluff on and see if he means it."
Miller spoke with Chelsea Handler on her Netflix show on June 15 about the potential of sitting out all season:
Harris Jr. Comments on Miller Negotiations
Tuesday, July 12
Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. told NFL Network's Total Access he expected Miller to sign his contract "Thursday night, Friday morning at the latest," per Nick Shook of NFL.com.
"I think everybody in the Broncos organization knows how crucial he is to our defense and the type of player that he is, even the person that he's become," Harris said. "He had some obstacles he had to overcome early in his career, but I think he's overcame those, and I think he's ready to lead now."
Miller Comments on Contract Negotiations, Potential Holdout
Monday, July 11
“No, I’m not gonna play on the franchise tag," Miller said on ESPN (h/t Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk). "It just doesn’t make sense in any way."
“I’ve never really played for money,” Miller added. “It’s bigger than that for me. It’s a league-wide problem that I feel like I’m in a situation to help out with.”
"Where we're at right now, everything has been said, everything is already in the books," Miller said on June 22, per Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post. "It's just a time for waiting now."
"It just hurts," Miller said June 17, per Greg Bishop of SI.com. He continued:
I'm not even going to lie. It's a business but at the end of the day, I got feelings, too. I know some fans don't know that some of the reports aren't even true. When I get on Instagram, no matter what I post, there's going to be 400 comments. Guys bashing me. Take the deal. You greedy b-----d. I thought you wanted to be a Bronco for life? And it kind of weighs on you after a while.
On June 16, Miller revealed on Instagram he refuses to play under the franchise tag this season:
On June 10, Cole reported that Miller is looking at the case of Sean Gilbert in 1997 as he considers what to do with his contract situation:
Miller told reporters on June 6 that "there's been a lot of progress" in contract talks.
"I'm going to be here in Denver no matter what. The contract is going to take care of itself," Miller said May 4, per Cameron Wolfe of the Denver Post.
Broncos Make Multiple Revised Offers
Friday, July 8
Ed Werder of ESPN reported (via Josh Alper of Pro Football Talk) the Broncos are willing to guarantee the third year of Miller's new deal, and it would become guaranteed at an earlier calendar date than they had previously offered.
Cole corroborated Werder's report and noted the sides aren't close to a deal, as the current offer of six years and $114 million with $61 million in guarantees is less than Fletcher Cox received from the Philadelphia Eagles and Andrew Luck got from the Indianapolis Colts.
The guaranteed portion and payouts over the early years of the contract are "the primary source of contention," according to Rand Getlin of NFL.com (via Chris Wesseling of NFL.com).
The Broncos' latest offer "didn't move [the] needle much for Miller," though talks are expected to continue through the weekend, per Mike Garafolo of NFL.com.
Mike Klis of 9News reported the Broncos submitted a second proposal late Friday night "that again enriched the guaranteed portion."
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Miller would prefer not to negotiate right up to the deadline.
Manning Comments on Miller Negotiations
Wednesday, July 6
"I know both sides want to work it out," Manning said. "I know [Miller] wants to be in Denver, Denver wants him...so, I think it'll work out. I'm pulling for 'em."
Cole: Broncos Not Interested in Potential Miller Trade
Wednesday, July 6
Cole shared what he was hearing regarding the Broncos' thoughts on Miller's future with the organization:
Miller Talks Reportedly Set to Resume
Tuesday, July 5
Cole reported the latest regarding the dialogue between Miller and the Broncos, and the linebacker's demands:
Schefter reported general manager John Elway personally reached out to Miller over the Fourth of July weekend about working out a long-term deal. However, Jhabvala reported the conversation was to "reopen lines of communication" and no "substantive" talks took place.
Miller's Talks with Broncos Break Down
Tuesday, June 21
Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reported that talks between Miller's camp and the Broncos have "gone cold." Fowler added that "absent of sudden progress over next three weeks, I'm told Miller has explored sitting out until March, when he'd become a nonexclusive franchise player, meaning a team could give up a first- and third-round pick for his services. "
The Broncos offered Miller a deal that would include a "total injury guarantee of $58 million at signing, with the remainder of the $58 million becoming fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2018 league year," according to Florio on June 10.
Renck reported June 10 that "Miller's camp remains adamant that the outside linebacker will not agree to a contract that does not have $60 million, and a third year, guaranteed upon signing."
Klis (via USA Today) reported on June 8 the Broncos had set a deadline of June 7 to reach a deal with Miller, and without one, they would "withdraw their multiyear contract proposal" and force Miller to play under the franchise tag.
Even though the parties have passed the deadline, Klis noted talks had not "broken off." One option the Broncos have if Miller doesn't agree to an extension is placing an "exclusive" tag on him for the 2017 season, per Klis.
On June 8, Schefter reported the Broncos proposed a six-year, $114.5 million deal to Miller that would have paid $39.8 million guaranteed in the first two years. Schefter also wrote "it will be very difficult" for the two sides to reach an agreement by the July 15 deadline.
Despite the reports painting a picture of a gulf between the two sides, Rand Getlin of NFL.com reported on June 9 that Miller "explicitly accepted" the offer from the Broncos but that the "primary battleground" is the structure of the contract, including guaranteed money.
Citing a source, Cole reported April 28 there has been "no progress" on a new deal for Miller.
On April 17, Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reported there is "a disparity believed to be in the neighborhood of $20 million total over a span of five years." Robinson noted Miller is seeking "roughly $110 million over five years," whereas the Broncos have offered around $90 million for the same time frame.
Cole: CBA Rule Could Allow Miller Holdout
Thursday, June 9
Cole provided the latest on Miller's contract situation:
Kubiak Comments on Miller Talks
Thursday, June 9
Head coach Gary Kubiak told reporters he's "still optimistic" the team will reach an agreement with Miller, adding that both sides are "working hard" to get a deal done.
Miller Doesn't Report to Broncos
Tuesday, June 7
NFL Network's James Palmer reported that Miller was not present for the first day of mandatory minicamp on Tuesday.
Elway Comments on Negotiations with Miller
Wednesday, June 1
"The ideal thing would be to get all three of them done (by mid-July)," Elway said of Miller and teammates Brandon Marshall and Emmanuel Sanders, per Jhabvala. "That's the goal. That would be nice if we could do that."
On May 5, Elway said, "We want Von to be a Bronco for life, too," on Denver Sports 760 (via Patrick Smyth, the team's vice president of public relations).
Miller Salaries Reportedly Revealed
Thursday, April 21
Klis reported, "[Miller's] tag salaries: $14.1 million, [Year 1]; $55.5 million [three-year] total. Broncos offer: $18 million, [Year 1]; $57.5 million [three-year] total. Give or take."
Miller Reportedly Will Not Attend Offseason Workouts
Saturday, April 16
Klis, citing "several sources close to the player," reported Miller told head coach Gary Kubiak he would not be in attendance for the Broncos' offseason program when it starts Monday, as he does not have a new deal.
Broncos Offer to Miller Reportedly Revealed
Sunday, April 10
The Broncos have extended an offer "between" $17 million and $18 million per season to Miller, according to Klis. Klis added the team has made it clear it is unwilling to pay more than the $19.062 million a year Ndamukong Suh receives from the Miami Dolphins.
Cole broke down the asking price Miller is seeking from the Broncos on March 25:
Albert Breer of NFL.com reported on March 2 that both sides acknowledge Miller will take a discount, but he added that the question is from what, referencing Suh's deal with the Miami Dolphins, which was for an average of $19 million per season with $60 million guaranteed.
Breer added on March 2 that rival executives said Miller would fetch over $20 million per season on the open market.
On March 1, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported Miller "wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in the history of the NFL, and is well-positioned to do so." He added that "he's seeking from $65 million to $70 million guaranteed, which would shatter [Suh's] record from a year ago."
Miller Is Heartbeat of Broncos Defense
Miller is a force on the Broncos defense, but there is also a connection between the current front office and the linebacker because he was Elway’s first draft pick as the general manager (No. 2 overall in 2011).
Elway commented on the team’s plan for Miller in a statement, per ESPN.com: "Designating Von as our franchise player gives us the time to continue working toward a long-term agreement. We've had productive talks with Von's representation, and we'll continue those discussions with the goal of making sure Von remains a Bronco well into the future."
Miller has been with the Broncos his entire career and has earned four Pro Bowl nods, two first-team All-Pro selections and the 2011 Defensive Rookie of the Year. He is also a tenacious pass-rusher who consistently puts up monster numbers:
|Year||Games||Combined Tackles||Sacks||Forced Fumbles||Fumble Recoveries|
He rose to the occasion in the biggest moments for the Broncos during their Super Bowl run, which is exactly the type of clutch performance teams are looking for when they make a significant financial commitment to a player.
Von vs. Pats/Panthers: 5.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, one interception. Turnovers he forced led directly to 21 of Denver's 44 points. Crazy.— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) February 8, 2016
Miller is still only 27 years old and has played a full 16 games in three of his five seasons in the league (he played 15 games in 2011). There may be no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL, but the age, production, durability and fact he played some of his best football less than a month ago in the Super Bowl are all signs the former Texas A&M star will continue to be a superstar.
He is right in the middle of his prime and will be well worth a hefty paycheck from Denver if he continues his stellar play, even if that payday is the biggest in NFL history for a defender.