Could The Eagles Still Be Targeting Tony Scheffler?
The Eagles need a TE. I know it, you know it, Andy Reid knows it. After final cuts on Saturday, most of Eagles nation was surprised to see seven WR's but only two TE's. The Eagles were rumored in the off season to be gunning for both the Broncos Tony Scheffler and the Chiefs Tony Gonzalez; neither trade came to fruition and current IR resident Cornelius Ingram was drafted.
Gonzalez was traded to the Falcons for a 2010 second round pick, and once reportedly unhappy Scheffler remains on the Broncos. Is it possible the Eagles are still considering making a move for Scheffler?
- Andy Reid said way back in April before the draft "I like to have three TE's"; Rob Myers may have made the practice squad, but I highly doubt that he makes it as the third TE on the 53 man roster
- Recently signed TE Tony Curtis barely knows the offense; yes he looked OK in preseason...against the Jets' twos and threes...that doesn't exactly make me all tingly inside
- In New England, Josh McDaniels' offense used the TE's mostly for blocking; Scheffler is more of a receiving TE
- The Broncos already have Daniel Graham at TE - who is only two years into a five year/$30 million dollar deal, and also drafted Richard Quinn - both are arguably better blockers than Scheffler
- Scheffler is in the last year of his deal; with Graham's deal being what it is, it's unlikely they give Scheffler - who led NFL TE's in 2008 for average yards per catch - the deal he is going to want, and tie that much cap space into the TE position; there are franchise tags and the looming uncapped year possibility yes - but there is also Richard Quinn and a possibility of a new CBA
- Scheffler did ask for a trade shortly after Cutler was dealt from the Broncos; McDaniels at the time made a statement that "Scheffler would not be dealt for less than a first round pick"; it was speculated at the time that McDaniels was reluctant to get into serious talks about dealing Scheffler to cool things down after the Cutler fiasco, and might also have been hesitant about Scheffler since he and Cutler share Bus Cook as an agent, and Cook is largely thought of to be the puppet master behind the Cutler trade
- McDaniels learned from Bill Belichick - who we've seen deal both Ellis Hobbs and Richard Seymour this off season, two players in the last year of their deals that were unlikely to be re-signed. It's possible that McDaniels may do a little follow the leader
- Eagles GM Tom Heckert said in an interview shortly after final cuts were made that the Eagles were still making calls regarding moving players; this probably included AJ Feeley, Hank Baskett and Reggie Brown at the very least, but could also very well have meant they were calling other teams regarding personnel as well. Jason La Canfora also mentioned on NFL Network on Friday that other teams had also called about some of the Eagles DE personnel as well
- Eagles President Joe Banner mentioned earlier in the off season that they were working on trading for Jason Peters for over a year before he was finally acquired and that they always leave trade talks somewhat open ended
- The Eagles did offer the Broncos a third round pick for Scheffler before the draft - is it possible a pick combined with Reggie Brown or Hank Baskett could get it done as well? Darren Howard could play DE in a 3-4 for the Broncos since he plays DE and DT for the Eagles
- The Eagles fifth round pick Cornelius Ingram is currently on IR with an ACL tear - his second to the same ligament in a year; Ingram had a lot of potential, but how much will be left after two surgeries to the same ACL? There were reports that his first procedure had complications and was not done correctly; for a guy touted for his athleticism like Ingram, two ACL tears could spell the end of a career
The Eagles are up to something, that I am sure of; whether it is Scheffler or possibly looking into the TE situation in Tennessee is unclear, but they won't be going into Carolina with two TE's, and Rob Myers will not make the 53 man roster as the third TE either, that I would count on.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?