
Notre Dame Football: Biggest Storylines so Far This Offseason
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Before we dive too far into Notre Dame football's spring practice, let’s take one final look back at the recent Irish offseason.
In the immediate aftermath of Notre Dame's victory over LSU in the Music City Bowl in Nashville, Tennessee, the offseason questions seemed to start and end at quarterback. In analyzing the biggest offseason talking points, we highlighted the men under center, possible returnees and defensive growth.
How do things look now a few months later?
Roster Movement

A year ago, Notre Dame's offseason was highlighted by departures.
In addition to the outgoing coaches, the Irish lost out on many of its draft-eligible underclassmen. Defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt, tight end Troy Niklas and running back George Atkinson left for the NFL.
This year, Notre Dame landed two massive re-recruiting coups by ensuring the returns of standout left tackle Ronnie Stanley and top defensive lineman Sheldon Day.

“This was a difficult decision," Stanley said in a press release. "My dream isn't just to play in the National Football League. I want to win a national championship. I've waited to this point so I could watch the actual game and see if I felt any emotion, and I felt a great deal. I am a competitor. I want to play on the top stage, so I've decided that I'm returning to Notre Dame for my senior year.
"We've got a chance to have a special season next year. Many of my teammates are returning, and I've made strong bonds with lots of them. If all of them weren't coming back this year, it would've made it an easier decision to leave. All this, the opportunity to graduate, and much more, led to my decision to stay."
Some projected Stanley to be a first-round draft choice. The left tackle will instead return to South Bend to anchor an offensive line that also brings back fifth-year center Nick Martin and junior-to-be guard Steve Elmer, as well as redshirt sophomore right tackle Mike McGlinchey, who earned his first career start in the bowl game.

Day, meanwhile, returns as one of Notre Dame's most productive defensive players, not just linemen.
“I believe we've got an opportunity to have a special season in 2015, and I wanted to be a part of that success,” Day said in a statement. “I was blessed to play in the national championship game as a freshman in 2012, and I want to do everything in my power to reach that stage again with my guys.”
Day's “guys” won’t include offensive lineman Matt Hegarty, who earned 11 starts in 2014. With a year of eligibility remaining, Hegarty will play football elsewhere in 2015, the guard/center announced earlier this month in a statement to ESPN.com's Matt Fortuna:
"Unfortunately, I have already had to miss a precious amount of football battling back from my stroke, and I value every rep and opportunity going into my final year of college ball that much more. My goal is to contribute this season, continue to develop my skills and pursue my dream of playing in the NFL. Because of this goal, I have asked for a transfer to play at another school where I can contribute more on the field.
"
Asked to address the situation Tuesday, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said there was a spot for Hegarty on the 2015 roster.
“We thought he would be competing for a starting position,” Kelly said. “He chose to take another option that is available to him because he's going to graduate.”
Later, Kelly was asked if the talented crop of offensive linemen played into Hegarty’s decision to depart.

“I couldn't really begin to get into what his decision is,” Kelly said. “He came out with a statement—I think you all saw his statement. I gave him the opportunity to be the starting left guard. He chose another path. That's all I can really say about it.”
On the other side of the ball, the signs still point to a return from cornerback KeiVarae Russell, who did not play in 2014 as a result of Notre Dame’s academic investigation. Kelly said he has spoken directly with Russell, who started all 26 games in his first two seasons.

“Academically, he’s making the progress necessary to be back here,” Kelly said. “I can confidently say standing in front of you today, he's making all the steps necessary to be back here, be part of our football team this summer.”
The situation isn't as clear for defensive end Ishaq Williams. Kelly said his communication with Williams has been through third parties, and he can’t guarantee Williams a spot on the 85-man roster.
“There are other factors involved,” Kelly said.
The head coach added Williams is working back home.
While we're on the topic of roster movement, Notre Dame officially announced its recruiting class of 2015 and also added graduate transfer Avery Sebastian from Cal.
New Coaches

Notre Dame lost both coordinators last offseason, as Bob Diaco at Connecticut and Chuck Martin at Miami (Ohio) both exited to be head coaches. It seemed difficult to top that, but the Irish had even more turnover and rearrangement on their staff this offseason.
| In | Out |
| Mike Sanford | Matt LaFleur |
| Autry Denson | Tony Alford |
| Keith Gilmore | Bob Elliott (still with program) |
| Todd Lyght | Kerry Cooks |
At least in the short run, it seems impossible for Notre Dame not to take a hit in recruiting with the losses of Tony Alford and Kerry Cooks.
But the Irish did add some intriguing new coaches, beginning with 32-year-old Mike Sanford, who assumes the role of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Former Notre Dame stars Autry Denson and Todd Lyght bring big-name buzz value back to their alma mater.

Just how quickly the revamped Irish coaching staff comes together remains to be seen. Asked how much Kelly has to coach his coaches in the spring, the boss said that’s a requirement, regardless of experience.
“It's always been about that for me,” Kelly said. “Some of it is more overt. In other words, you're out in front of it sometimes a little bit more when you have a veteran staff where you're reminding them, whereas when you have a staff that you've got some new coaches, you're doing more behind the scenes.”
QB Situation Stays Stagnant

All eyes will be on Notre Dame's quarterbacks throughout the offseason and into the fall. But so far—since the Irish rumbled past the LSU Tigers—not much has changed.
In early January, Kelly did shed some light on Everett Golson's situation and plan.
At Wednesday's first spring practice, Golson took the first snaps. That means little to nothing, of course, and Malik Zaire received plenty of reps, too.
Kelly said he wants Golson to continue to develop a disciplined approach to playing quarterback.
“Take the last drive in the LSU game, for example, some of the plays he made there,” Kelly said. “Poised in the pocket. Checking the football down. Staying within the realm of the offense. Much of that needs to continue.”
For Zaire, Kelly said he wants his redshirt sophomore signal-caller to continue to lead and to deliver in practice situations, just as he did in his breakout performance against the Tigers in the Music City Bowl.

“He's capable of doing it,” Kelly said. “He showed he has that in him. Now, it has to be on display both in practice and not just in games.”
Asked if he wants to see a clear-cut No. 1 and No. 2 quarterback breakdown this spring, Kelly was noncommittal.
“I really don't know. I really don't know,” Kelly said. “I think it's going to take us some time to get a feel for how this competition is going to go.
“It's one thing to go out there and compete without footballs. It's another thing to put the football in their hands, go run the offense, then we'll have a better sense.
“Based upon what we saw in our bowl preparations, based upon what we saw in the LSU game, I think they're both going to compete. I think they're both very much going to be part of our success in 2015.”
All quotes were obtained firsthand, unless otherwise noted.
Mike Monaco is a lead Notre Dame writer for Bleacher Report. Follow @MikeMonaco_ on Twitter.
.jpg)





.jpg)







