Arsenal's countdown to the beginning of the Premier League season means that transfer urgency is also reaching a fever pitch, with the Gunners still locked in on several major targets.
This summer has already proven to be one of Arsene Wenger's most luxurious. Arsenal has splashed out in excess of £60 million, but the movement may not stop there.
Last year saw Mesut Ozil complete a last-gasp switch to the Emirates Stadium from Real Madrid, but what other late deals can we expect to see this time around?
Douglas Costa's precarious position as a Shakhtar Donetsk player continues to interest Wenger in regards to a summer move, but Monaco's riches may well see the French giants get their man first.
Anthony Chapman of the Express says that the north Londoners, along with Tottenham, have been quoted a price of £40 million for the Brazilian to leave the Donbass Arena, but Tom Williams of Agence France-Presse cites French newspaper L'Equipe in adding another dimension to the deal:
Monaco prepared to pay Shakhtar Donetsk €65 million for Douglas Costa and Alex Teixeira, according to today's L'Equipe.— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) July 31, 2014
Speaking to the official Shakhtar website, club CEO Sergei Palkin confirmed that Arsenal will have to trigger the playmaker's release clause for a deal to materialise, with Costa known to be unsettled by the political rifts in Ukraine.
"I think first of all Teixeira and Costa should sort themselves out. What they want: to play football or to pay fines constantly," Palkin said. "Well, they all say that he is expected to move, but the club has not received any formal proposals."
Palkin also confirmed that neither Costa or Teixeira are currently with the squad, presumably still amiss after going AWOL following a pre-season friendly in Lyon.
After the arrival of Alexis Sanchez, Costa would be another presence capable of playing out wide or through the central attacking midfield role, but the Gunners may choose to devote their funds to other areas of the squad in need of development.
It's been speculated that Arsenal are ready to toss in the towel regarding their hunt for Marco Reus and will instead launch a bid to sign the player in 2015.
Lee Hurley of Metro supposes that a potential loan move for the aforementioned Costa would mean any move for Reus would be shelved until next summer.
Dortmund-born Reus is back at his boyhood club after gaining Bundesliga prominence with Borussia Monchengladbach, and Hurley quotes Black and Yellows sporting director Michael Zorc as saying that the club intends for Reus to stay.
"[We will] definitely try to keep him long term," Zorc said. "Marco is not only a hugely important player for us because of his athletic performance, but also in his role as a poster boy. He is Dortmund-born and a figurehead for this club."
Ed Malyon of the Mirror agrees wholeheartedly that Reus will remain at Signal Iduna Park:
@cpfcpatriot they won't get Reus— Ed Malyon (@eaamalyon) August 7, 2014
@cpfcpatriot new deal with Bvb is my expectation. This is all contract negotiation— Ed Malyon (@eaamalyon) August 7, 2014
The links Reus shares with Dortmund certainly make his departure that much more difficult to imagine, but the money-spindling world of football has a habit of turning seeming logic on its head.
That being said, Reus has thrust his own performances to new heights under Jurgen Klopp, and the German giants have proven difficult to negotiate with once they dig their heels in to retain a player's services as best they can.
The roller-coaster journey that has been Sami Khedira's summer link with a move to north London continues to spiral along an ever-changing path, with it now being reported that Wenger's side will launch a deadline-day move for the midfielder.
According to the Daily Star's Gary Jones, Arsenal will stage a similar deal to the one that brought Ozil to the club in 2013, despite Wenger's recent comments dismissing any ties with the Real Madrid man.
“I don’t know who has put him on the market," Wenger said. "We were never close to signing him, because Jack Wilshere has come back fit and in midfield we have offensive midfielders, we have box-to-box players, we have quite a few.”
Wages have long been seen as the major stumbling block for Arsenal, to which Spanish expert Guillem Balague can attest:
Khedira: Arsenal made no offer whatsover to Real. No wage agreement as he is far too expensive. He has no intention (as yet) to reduce wages— Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague) August 8, 2014
Regardless, the unpredictable nature of the summer window insists on keeping any idea of the transfer alive, and attention will remain locked on the Emirates Stadium until the September 1 deadline passes.