Sebastian Vettel Slams New Formula 1 Points Rule, Says Drivers Are 'Horrified'

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Sebastian Vettel Slams New Formula 1 Points Rule, Says Drivers Are 'Horrified'
Paul Gilham/Getty Images

Formula One's plans to award double points at the final race of the 2014 season have been called "absurd" by the reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel.

The idea was announced on Monday, after which Vettel was one of the first prominent figures in the sport to comment, per the Press Association's Jamie Strickland (h/t Daily Mail):

This is absurd and punishes those who have worked hard for a whole season. I value the old traditions in Formula One and do not understand this new rule.

Imagine, in the last Bundesliga match [of the season] there was suddenly double points. Drivers, fans and experts are horrified.

One would think Vettel might jump at any opportunity for more Bundesliga points given that the official Bundesliga website reports him as being an Eintracht Frankfurt fan, but it seems the driver's own trade takes precedence on this occasion.

Clive Mason/Getty Images
Vettel's 2013 Brazil victory

The initiative has been put forward in the hope that the championship won't be decided before the last race of the season, as it was in 2013. Vettel finished a ridiculous 155 points ahead of runner-up Fernando Alonso.

Per Strickland's report, the announcement of a possible budget cap to begin in 2015 ranks as some of the other big news to come from Monday's meeting, although the double points idea has attracted the most attention, and understandably so.

Vettel twice broke the record for consecutive Formula One races won in the same season during 2013, making it eight in a row at the United States Grand Prix before extending that run to nine at Brazil's curtain call.

The 26-year-old has now won four world titles in a row and continues to monopolise the sport's silverware, something that has undoubtedly lent itself to F1 figures proposing the double points rule.

Sky Sports' Rachel Brookes adds some context to the matter:

In the current points format, only two of the last four Drivers' Championships have been decided by a distance of more than five points.

In 2010, Vettel's first triumph, the gap between him and Alonso was just four points, while the two were even closer in 2012, finishing just three points apart.

Mark Thompson/Getty Images
Alonso would have won the 2012 title if double points were in effect

Therefore, the latest proposal would appear to be in reaction to the grip Red Bull and Vettel have taken on matters in the last year or so.

As of yet, not many others have spoken on the matter, but according to the driver himself, the reigning champion isn't alone in thinking the idea is a bad one.

BT Sport's Jake Humphrey is among those agreeing with Vettel:

Though it might hold the promise of some final-day fireworks, F1's latest innovation could be seen as more of a preventative measure against a force currently taking the world by storm rather than a well thought-out plan with the sport's best interests at heart.

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

Formula 1

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.