World Football logoWorld Football

Latest Transfer Rumours: Gareth Bale Close to Real Move, Wayne Rooney and More

Ian RodgersWorld Football Staff WriterAugust 22, 2013

Latest Transfer Rumours: Gareth Bale Close to Real Move, Wayne Rooney and More

1 of 6

    Gareth Bale and his proposed transfer to Real Madrid are back on the sports agenda in Thursday's newspaper roundup.

    The Tottenham star has been on the brink of a world-record move to the Bernabeu in recent weeks, but what is the latest news on the deal?

    Could the long-running transfer saga over Wayne Rooney also soon be over? Much will depend on Manchester United's search for a successor to the forward, claims one report.

    Liverpool have rejected a £10 million move for defender Martin Skrtel, while former Arsenal defensive midfielder Mathieu Flamini could be poised for a return to the Emirates Stadium, according to reports.

    Read on to find out more.

Spurs Edge Closer to Agreeing Gareth Bale Move to Real Madrid

2 of 6

    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been locked in negotiations with Real Madrid over the transfer of Gareth Bale, reports Sami Mokbel of the Daily Mail.

    The White Hart Lane chief is determined to ensure Spurs receive the best price possible for the Wales international, and Levy wants to make the deal to bring Fabio Coentrao to North London separate from the Bale transfer, according to the report.

    Real are looking to make left-back Coentrao a makeweight in the £94 million move for the 24-year-old Bale.

    Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas insisted on Wednesday that the transfer of Bale had not been completed, but he is expected to complete the deal for Willian very soon, according to the Mail report. The article also says that the club are in advanced talks with AS Roma for forward Erik Lamela.

Chelsea Will Get Green Light for Rooney If Utd Sign Replacement

3 of 6

    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been told Manchester United will sell Wayne Rooney if they can replace the striker before the transfer window closes, reports David Maddock of the Daily Mirror.

    The Stamford Bridge club have already bid for the England international, but United manager David Moyes has insisted the player is not for sale.

    However, Maddock claims the Old Trafford club are prepared to do business once they sign a new forward in place of the 27-year-old.

    Moyes has been unsuccessful in the transfer market so far this summer with moves for the likes of Cesc Fabregas and Thiago Alcantara falling flat, as Goal.com's Greg Stobart reports.

    The United boss is also expected to make an improved offer for Everton pair Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini after an initial bid of £28 million was described as "derisory" by the Goodison Park club, claims Maddock.

Arsenal Linked with Flamini, Di Maria and Benzema but Suarez Interest Is over

4 of 6

    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could be poised to bring defender Mathieu Flamini back to the Emirates Stadium, reports Gary Jacobs of The Times (subscription required).

    The 29-year-old defensive midfielder, who can also play at full-back, has been training with the Gunners after his contract at AC Milan expired at the end of the season.

    Wenger is also weighing up a move for Real Madrid pair Angel Di Maria and Karim Benzema, according to David Ornstein of BBC Sport.

    Mark Irwin and The Sun produced a classic tabloid report of the Champions League win over Fenerbahce, with the claim that Wenger's worst nightmare had come true after the result propelled the Gunners toward qualifying for the lucrative group stages.

    The Arsenal boss has been criticised for not spending money on big signings this summer, and Irwin opened his report on the 3-0 win in Turkey in humorous style.

    Arsene Wenger's worst nightmare came true last night as he was handed another £25million to spend.

    The Arsenal boss is now hoping a number of deals can be done before the transfer window closes on Sept. 2, but Wenger has ruled out any further moves for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, as David Hytner of The Guardian among others reported.

Liverpool Reject £10 Million Napoli Bid for Defender Martin Skrtel

5 of 6

    Liverpool have rejected a £10 million bid by Napoli for central defender Martin Skrtel, reports Darren Lewis of the Daily Mirror.

    Former Anfield boss Rafael Benitez was hoping to be reunited with the player he brought to Anfield from Zenit St Petersburg in January 2008.

    Lewis reports that the Slovakia international, 28, is unsettled at Liverpool, but the Merseyside club are unwilling to allow him to link up with Pepe Reina at the Italian club after Sebastian Coates was ruled out for up to six months with a knee injury.

Bits and Pieces: Martin Demichelis, Todor Nedelev, Tom Ince, Eric Dier

6 of 6

    Manchester City will revive their interest in Martin Demichelis after Vincent Kompany was injured in the win over Newcastle United on Monday, according to Richard Tanner of the Daily Express.

    The City captain could be out for up to a month with a groin problem, while Micah Richards is also missing with a hamstring injury, and Matija Nastasic is just returning from an ankle injury.

    Argentina international Demichelis joined Atletico Madrid this summer after his contract at Malaga, where he played under City manager Manuel Pellegrini, expired.

    Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is continuing his extensive spending spree with a £5 million move for 20-year-old winger Todor Nedelev from Bulgarian club Botev Plovdiv, as reported by Mike McGrath in The Sun (subscription required).

    Everton have joined the chase for Blackpool striker Tom Ince. The Toffees will offer £5 million for the player, but the Championship club are looking for £8 million, according to The Sun (subscription required).

    Chelsea are in pole position in the race to sign England Under-21 international defender Eric Dier from Sporting in Portugal, as Simon Jones of the Daily Mail reports.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices