Week 16 Highlights

Week 16 Scoreboard

Denver Broncos Offseason Workouts: Early Reports and Updates from Dove Valley

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Denver Broncos Offseason Workouts: Early Reports and Updates from Dove Valley
Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

On Monday, the Denver Broncos kicked off their offseason workout program, marking the beginning of what MileHighReport.com called the team's "2013 Revenge Tour."  Per MHR, this week is Phase One of Denver's offseason workouts.

Right now, there are no coaches and no helmets—only workouts.  Quarterbacks may throw to uncovered receivers, but there are no regulated practices yet.

The workouts are also voluntary, so "hold outs" are not necessarily "holding out."  With that said, starting left tackle Ryan Clady is skipping the workouts (according to the Denver Post, via PFT).

The Broncos used a $9.8 million franchise tag on Clady earlier in the offseason, which will keep him in Denver through the 2013 season—if he signs it.  As of now, Clady is rehabbing from shoulder surgery on his own and hoping to workout a multi-year deal with the team later this summer.

In the meantime, the Broncos are locking down other players.  Clady's backup, tackle Chris Clark, signed his one-year tender on Wednesday, defensive tackle Mitch Unrein signed a tender on Thursday and cornerback Tony Carter signed on Monday.

Before organized offseason workouts officially began, quarterback Peyton Manning took his top three receivers—Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Eric Decker—to Duke University to get in some early reps.  Manning and his teammates only had glowing things to say about what was accomplished at Duke, but Denver's fourth receiver, Andre Caldwell, was not invited.

Caldwell made it known publically on Twitter that he was upset about not being invited, and cited it as additional motivation.  When asked about Caldwell's tweet, Manning responded:

“I’m excited to see Bubba’s (Caldwell) competitive attitude,” said Manning. “I hope he’s able to turn that into a productive offseason and has a good season for us this year.”

Last offseason, Caldwell was beaten out for Denver's third receiver gig by 36-year-old veteran Brandon Stokley, who is now a free agent.  When slot receiver Wes Welker signed with Denver earlier this offseason, it was widely assumed that Stokley would not be returning.

But Manning hopes that is not the case (via PFT):

I think it’s well documented how I feel about Brandon as a player and a friend, and with the kind of season he had last year, I would still like to play with him. In a perfect world I would love for both of them (Stokley and Welker) to be on the team this year.  Stokley is a great friend of mine, and as I’ve said all along, he’s always been one of my favorite teammates ever to play with.

It seems unlikely at this point that Stokley will be brought back, but Manning is not giving up hope.

“I hope it’s not necessarily a closed door,” he said. “We added some players late in the offseason last year.”

Denver's offseason workouts will continue with routine breaks between now and May, with the first mandatory minicamp coming in June.  The team's mandatory training camp is expected to start on or near Thursday, July 25th.

The Broncos' 2013 regular season schedule will be announced on Thursday (they are expected to open against the New York Giants or Baltimore Ravens).  Next week, they will be selecting 28th overall in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft on Thursday, April 25.

Load More Stories

Follow Denver Broncos from B/R on Facebook

Follow Denver Broncos from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Denver Broncos

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.