Sam Greenwood/Getty Images
In scenario two, Oregon defeats USC during the regular season but loses the Pac-12 title game to the Trojans. All the losses of the other teams from Scenario One remain the same.
This affects the teams' schedule strengths as follows:
Notre Dame's loss is to a three-loss USC, not a USC that defeated the Oregon Ducks. Oregon is not a conference champion. This changes things a good bit, as the "conference champion" bargaining chip weighed heavily into the first scenario. We will need to revisit all five teams quickly here.
1) Alabama has wins over No's 8, 11, 5 and 16. Alabama lost to No. 2 in the conference title match.
2) Georgia is unaffected by the Oregon situation, remains conference champion and advances.
3) Notre Dame's loss is to No.-10 USC instead of No.-5. Notre Dame's loss actually gets worse.
4) Oregon has now won and lost the same quality of games as in Scenario One, but is not a conference champion.
5) Kansas State's strength of schedule remains unchanged, but this time around the Wildcats are the champions of the Big 12 by virtue of a head-to-head win over Oklahoma.
Now we have an issue. Alabama's only loss was to the No. 2 team in the nation, but it was in December. Notre Dame has a late loss that has pushed it down out of the top five, as have Kansas State and Oregon.
The BCS No's 1-5 have all taken a late loss that drops them out of the conversation. The No. 6 Georgia Bulldogs have earned a spot in the national championship by claiming the SEC title.
Since all those teams can't go, and South Carolina (current BCS No. 8) has two losses, it comes down to the two teams in the BCS whose losses were earlier in the season.
Those two teams are Florida (current BCS No. 7) and Florida State (current BCS No. 9), who play on Nov 24. The winner of the Florida vs. Florida State game goes to the national championship against the Georgia Bulldogs.
Heaven help the BCS staff members if that ends up being Florida!
National Championship Prediction: Georgia Bulldogs vs. Florida State Seminoles
This is the same as in Scenario One. If LSU earns its way to Atlanta by beating Alabama and takes Georgia down in the SEC title game, LSU goes instead of Georgia. Scenario Two Alternate Prediction: LSU Tigers vs. Florida State Seminoles.