Okay guys, I have been doing a lot of research on this, and I have picked out some wide receivers that I think are good fits for the Giants in the upcoming 2009/2010 season.
Most of these guys are worth a late first to second-round pick, no crazy stuff here. Let me know what you guys think.
1. Hakeem Nicks 6'1", 210lbs.- The guy Reminds me of Anquan Boldin. His rare ability to make a run after the catch and to make a defensive back pay by lowering his shoulder is amazing. Rarely do you see him go down on initial contact. The one thing he does lack is speed, he isn’t the fastest out there, but he sure is quick. His lack in speed is really his only down side. Most likely he wouldn't be much of a vertical threat.
2. Darrius Heyward-Bey 6'2", 206lbs. 40 time- 4.36- To me, this gus is right up there with Nicks, maybe better. I wouldn’t mind either of these picks if the Giants decided to draft them. Bey is as fast as it gets, give the man a hole and he can just explode through it.
He can catch up to any deep ball, which would make it hard for even Eli Manning to over throw him. With his deep ball skills, he would obviously be a great vertical threat in which the Giants are drastically needing in their offense.
He also has the height to get up and make a catch in traffic, which is always a plus when Manning is under center. Undoubtedly, Eli does struggle with a high release. Bey's downside is in his ability to run crisp routes, but that is very coachable in the NFL.
3. Kenny Britt 6'4" 205lbs- If there was an identical replacement for Burress, this would be the man. There isn’t much flashy about him, besides his size, but he has big soft hands and obviously towers over everybody to snatch the ball out of thin air. An area where he seems to have some trouble is beating the jam at the line of scrimmage.
4. Jarett Dillard 5'11", 185lbs- Now your first reaction might be, 5'11" 185lbs? No way? But, yes way! The kid can jump through the roof with a 42" vertical (in junior year) most likely higher by now. Dilard has great route running skills and great hands. Really reminds me of a young Amani Toomer but perhaps better.
His ability to adjust to the ball in mid air at the collegiate level, is already at a professional skill level. He has really flown under the radar, but has a great attitude towards the game, works hard and has a good head on his shoulders.
Another thing that impresses me about Dillard is his ability to get two feet in bounds at such a young age... Some of the catches he makes along the sidelines are extraordinary!
5. Aaron Kelly 6'5 190 lbs. 40 time-4.55- This guy definitely uses his height to an advantage. Just chuck it up between two defenders and he will most likely come down with it. His concentration and hands are great; he can really make some great catches in traffic.
Kelly doesn’t have that break away speed nor will he shake anyone out of their shoes, but the ability for him to come down with the ball is just sensational.
If the Giants were to draft a wide receiver in the 2009 draft, I hope that these are the guys they are looking at. Obviously, none of these guys are going to come out and make a huge impact in their first year, but at least it would be a start in the right direction.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!