Michigan Football: Josh Furman Case Has Lots of Unanswered Questions

Adam Jacobi@Adam_JacobiBig Ten Football Lead WriterApril 10, 2012

Hoke suspended safety Josh Furman upon learning of his arrest.
Hoke suspended safety Josh Furman upon learning of his arrest.Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

As mentioned this morning, Michigan safety Josh Furman has been suspended for two months as he faces some very serious charges: domestic violence, assault and breaking and entering. If Furman were convicted of those crimes, he would have a very hard time justifying why he should be allowed to even attend Michigan afterwards, much less participate with the football team.

Furman's attorney Gerry Mason has a very, very different story about the events that led to Furman's arrest, however:

Attorney Gerry Mason said the incident occurred when Furman, who was with two female cheerleaders at a campus apartment, started receiving "nasty" text messages from a man.

When Furman got up, "one pulled a dreadlock right out of his head, because they thought he was going to somehow go looking for the third-party male and pick a fight with him," Mason said.

Furman then went back to his apartment voluntarily, but the police had already been called. He was arrested that night.

First of all: pulled a dreadlock right out of his head? That sounds like the absolute worst. How hard do you have to pull on someone's hair to accomplish that?

Now, Mason would hardly be the first lawyer to go to the press and whitewash a story for his or her client, but Mason also says he's got the support of the two women in question—and they want the case gone, too:

Mason said the case is a "misunderstanding" and that the two women have asked for the charges against Furman to be dismissed. They prepared a statement to that effect and took it to the police, but were referred to the prosecutor's office, then victim's rights, which never got back to them.

The statement will be read once the trial begins, Mason said.

"Joshua didn't do anything," Mason said. "He's got one guy sending him threatening text messages, and then when he gets upset about the nasty text messages, somebody else pulls his hair out, and then the poor bastard gets arrested.

"My suspicion is (the women) will show up in court and make a record in court and say, 'Hey look, this guy didn't hit us, he didn't punch us, he didn't do anything.'"

If that's the case, Furman's day in court is going to be awfully short. If.

But really, that's just one of many questions that need to be answered about this case--and not by the defendant.

To wit:


Who Originally Pressed the Charges?

If the two women did, what made them change their mind? If they didn't, why are the two women trying to get the charges dropped? And what led police to believe that these women had been assaulted?


Where Was Furman Accused of Breaking Into?

If Furman was at his friends' apartment and then went home, why on Earth is he facing a breaking and entering charge? And if he's accused of breaking in somewhere else between leaving that apartment and going home, why is Mason acting like a statement from the two women at that apartment is going to make that charge go away?


Why Did the Two Women's Statement Not Go Anywhere?

If a victim's rights office isn't going to act on a statement asking for charges to be dropped against someone, why was that request sent there to begin with? 

Furman's court case is set for April 23, so these questions are going to get resolved in due time. If what Mason is saying is true, though, it's mind-boggling that this case is even going to court to begin with.