Texas Soccer: UST Star Helps Galveston Pirates to Eight-Goal Haul to Start 2012

Marc RosebladeContributor IIIJanuary 10, 2012

Bryan Mann
Bryan Mann

You couldn't have scripted this.

In pirate days of old, "pieces of eight" was a common term heard among the swashbucklers. Today, it was our very own Galveston Pirates that managed to swag themselves some of their own pieces of eight!

After what has seemed like an eternity, the Galveston Pirates returned to action and picked up where they left off, registering a fine 8-1 hammering of bottom-side Wankers FC.

There were to be no hangovers from the holidays, as the players looked sharp and on the ball right from the start. They didn't have long to wait to open the scoring when a beautiful pass from Jonathan Yanez put Taylor Lubianski through on goal to score from 18 yards with a beautiful left-foot chip to the top left corner.  

The Pirates were looking in the mood to score plenty of goals, and they soon added another with a penalty from Yanez to make it 2-0 after just 15 minutes. 

It was cruise-control time for the eye-patch-wearing team, which should have added several more goals before they actually did in the 28th minute when newly signed Edgar Sosa hit a volley from an acute angle to make it 3 nil.  

To their credit, Wankers FC never quit and kept pushing for a goal. On the stroke of half time, their perseverance paid dividends, albeit with a bit of luck. A shot from 45 yards out, which seemed to catch the Pirates goalie off his line and unable to track back to stop the shot, made the scoreline 3-1 as the teams entered the halftime break.

The whistle came at a good time for the Wankers, who just needed a goal to keep the game alive.

At halftime, Pirates head coach Brendan Keyes told his players that they needed to win and win big, as the goal difference might play a part in who wins league and gets promoted.  

Brendan Keyes (left)
Brendan Keyes (left)

Coach Keyes had been keeping track of how his rivals were managing at the same time. He knew that Houston United was having a real battle with Celtic FC, as their match was tied at 1-1 at halftime.  

With this knowledge, the Pirates went into the second period wanting a big win to keep them in the hunt at the top of the league. The players stepped up the pace, soon making it 4-1 when Bryan Mann scored at 57 minutes after a brilliant run to cut inside and shoot from 12 yards to beat the Wankers' keeper.  

The fifth goal came at 60 minutes after a brilliantly crafted one-two between Lubianski and Mann, which ended with a great low shot from Mann into the left of the goal for his second.

It was soon 6-1 when Osteven Lopez scored from an Alvarez cross at the 69th minute.  

The conditions were getting increasingly worse as the swirling wind was making it difficult to play a passing game, but the Pirates tried and soon a beautiful move between three players put Mann through for his hat trick and the MOM award with a beautiful finish.

The goal was a painful one for the young UST star, as he collided with the keeper as he slotted the ball home to make it 7-1, but the striker dusted himself off, picked himself up, and collected his accolades for the hat trick.

The players wanted more, adding the final goal of the match when Peron Major headed one home after he was first to reach the rebound from the bar. That made it 8-1 for the Pirates, who are now well and truly in the mix for the title.  

After the game, Coach Keyes said, "There is a long way to go and a lot of football still to be played, but we are playing well and haven't lost in a while. We are the in-form team at the moment and have given ourselves a good shot at winning the league. With Celtic and Houston United's match ending in a 3-3 draw today, it means a first versus second tie next week between us and Elite."

Always hard to please, Coach Keyes added, "This wasn't our best performance, and considering we were missing three key players, I can't complain too much with an 8-1 win."