It's time to stir up the hornets' nest again and ask the question: What are the best sports cities in the country? There are always strongly-held opinions on this topic and a wide variety of criteria that can be applied to develop the answer.
The following eligibility criteria have been established:
1) I will use the results of major professional sports leagues only: NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB.
2) A city must have a team in at least three of the leagues to be eligible for consideration.
3) The last 10 seasons that have ended in the years 2002 through 2011, will be used in the analysis. For example, since the current NFL season has not ended, the last year we will use is the 2010-2011 season.
4) A city must have won a championship in these 10 years to be eligible for consideration.
A variety of metrics will be applied in comparing cities:
1) Total number of championships.
2) Playoff appearances weighted by progress in the playoffs. The details of this metric is provided in the very last slide, after the review of all 10 cities.
3) One view will treat all cities equally, regardless of how many teams a city has.
4) One view will divide the results by a measure of the number of teams a city has.
What three cities do you think will be at the top of the heap? Think about this before you proceed to the results.