Here are all the important pre-match stats and facts ahead of Saturday's FA Cup third round trip to Preston.
- Liverpool's record in the F.A.Cup: (all rounds including Preliminaries)
Pld. 399 Won: 213 Drawn: 87 Lost: 99 Goals scored: 666 Goals conceded: 377
- This game will be the Reds 400th in the F.A. Cup.
- The Reds have won the trophy seven times—the last in 2006 while Preston have lifted the Cup twice. In 1889 they completed the League and Cup double, winning the league in its inaugural season.
- Then in 1938, with Bill Shankly in the team, they defeated Huddersfield Town 1-0 with a George Mutch penalty in the last minute of extra-time.
- Liverpool and Preston have been drawn together only twice before in the F.A. Cup.
- In 1894 Liverpool won 3-2 at Anfield in the Second Round.
- In 1962 the sides met in the Fifth Round and after two goalless draws, Preston won 1-0 at Old Trafford thanks to a goal from future Reds player Peter Thompson.Both clubs were in Division Two at the time of those meetings.
In the Preston team was Dave Wilson who later joined Liverpool but only made one substitute appearance.
- Since winning the Cup in 1992, Liverpool have been eliminated six times by teams from the division below. These defeats were inflicted by:
Bolton (1993), Bristol City (1994), Blackburn (2000), Crystal Palace (2003), Burnley (2005) and last season Barnsley.
- Liverpool last went out of the Cup at this stage in 2007, beaten at Anfield by Arsenal.
- This is the sixth time in the last seven seasons that the Reds have been drawn away in Round Three.
- Liverpool have lost to lower division opposition twenty-two times in the competition while they have also gone out at this stage on twenty-two occasions.
- Steven Gerrard and Yossi Benayoun both scored hat-tricks in the Cup last season—the 16th and 17th hat tricks recorded by Liverpool in their
F.A. Cup history.
- The last man to achieve the feat away from home was John Barnes in a Third Round tie at Crewe in 1992.
- Liverpool have kept only four clean sheets at Preston in the last 39 visits throughout all competitive meetings.
- Of the current squad Steven Gerrard with eight, has scored most in the F.A. Cup for Liverpool.
- In 1887, Preston recorded the F.A. Cup's biggest ever victory when they beat Hyde 26-0.
- Preston have lost their last 10 F.A. Cup meetings with top-flight opposition.
Since the conception of the Premier League, they have been beaten by Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, West Brom, Middlesbrough and Manchester City. Seven of those ten defeats have were in front of their home fans.
- They last defeated a top-flight team in the Third Round 30 years ago when they beat Derby 3-0 at Deepdale.
- Alan Irvine has been in charge of Preston since November 2007 when he left his role as David Moyes' assistant at Everton.
Moyes himself had been in charge at Deepdale from 1998-2002.
- This season, Preston have not drawn any of their 15 home games -winning 11 and losing four in all competitions.
Those defeats have come at the hands of Wolves, Swansea and Southampton (League) and Derby (League Cup).
- Preston have lost just two of their last 11 games and have won each of their last five at home.
- Referee Martin Atkinson was in charge of Liverpool last season when they were knocked out of the F.A. Cup by Barnsley.
- Liverpool: Pld 20 Won 13 Drawn 6 Lost 1 Goals For 35 Against 13 Points 45 Position: 1st
Preston: (Championship): Pld 26 Won 12 Drawn 5 Lost 9 Goals For 36 Against 32 Points 41 Position: 7th