Vikings Stadium Update: The Public Speaks in New Polls

Ryan NelsonCorrespondent INovember 10, 2011

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - DECEMBER 12:  Snow surrounds the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, Mall of America Stadium where the inflatable roof collapsed under the weight of snow during a storm Sunday morning December 12, 2010 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. A blizzard dumped more than 20 inches of snow in parts of the Midwest forcing the NFL football game between the New York Giants and the Minnesota Vikings to be postponed till Monday and will be played in Detroit's Ford Field. There were no injuries reported from the collapse of the dome.  (Photo by Tom Dahlin/Getty Images)
Tom Dahlin/Getty Images

Minnesotans want Vikings football. This much has been made clear in November 6th polls conducted by the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Sixty-six percent of Minnesotans polled by the Star Tribune say that it is at least somewhat important to them to keep the Vikings in Minnesota, which is broken down to 39 percent saying is is very important, and 27 percent saying it is somewhat important. The overall number—the 66 percent—is the same from a May 2011 poll. But the breakdown is different, where 36 percent said it was very important the Vikings stay, and 30 percent saying it was only somewhat important.

The majority of the public, however, is still opposed to publicly subsidizing a new stadium. On the other side, the numbers for the opposition side is down, while support is rising drastically to find a way to build the Vikings a stadium. In the November 6th poll, 56 percent opposed using public funds, which is down from May 2011 where 74 percent opposed it. Approval of using public funds is up as well, from 22 percent in May to 37 percent in November.

However, where the majority of people are in major support of funding is in gambling expansion. Eighty-one percent support a Vikings lottery scratch off, 72 percent support a racino, 70 percent support electronic pull-tabs in bars and restaurants and 60 percent support a downtown Minneapolis casino. Even a two-cent tax on alcoholic beverages garnered a majority of support with 53 percent approval.

State officials have been dragging their feet on getting a stadium deal done, citing a lack of need to be urgent on the issue. This has not sat well with Governor Mark Dayton-(D), who called the legislature in annoyance this past week and said it's time for action on behalf of the leadership. The governor has been expressing frustration with the laissez-faire approach by the state legislature, and he says it's time to stop "playing games."

Dayton seems to echo much sentiment of the general Minnesota public, who are getting antsy about the deal and the Vikings' lease situation. Many Minnesotans who don't want the Purple leaving have been expressing frustration over the lack of urgency and the apathy of the Republican-majority legislature. The roller coaster of news in the Minneapolis area over the stadium has many Minnesotans feeling like they're being pulled along by the government, the Vikings and the media.

I guess we're just looking for a deal so we can focus on football.

Come see what's new with the Vikings' stadium deal!