Pretend it is the middle of MLB’s offseason, and you are hard at work as most General Managers are at this time of year.
Significant decisions are looming and need to be made sooner than later, as your team’s forthcoming success depends on it.
Now, below are the stats of two currently active MLB hitting superstars, but the hitch is you can only sign one. The players and stats are real, but the each player’s name, respective team and year are all crossed out in order for you to make an unbiased decision.
You won’t be discouraged, that much I can promise you.
Once you are finished, please leave your decision, via a comment and hopefully an explanation at the end of this post. Presumably, each pick will be your opinion of who is the better player as you are trying to put the best team together possible to win.
PLAYER 1 - STATS:
PLAYER 2 - STATS:
Which superstar MLB batter would you sign as a GM?
Before disclosing any true identities, let me give you the three reasons why I would sign PLAYER 1 over PLAYER 2.
- PLAYER 1 is just as lethal once on base as clear from his stolen base numbers. PLAYER 1 also has 57 more RBIs.
- PLAYER 2 doesn’t strikeout much, but my guess is that he gets intentionally walked a bit when looking at his base-on-balls numbers.
- PLAYER 1's most recent numbers season shows improvement, while almost all PLAYER 2’s stats declined in his last season. This does not mean that PLAYER 2 can’t be productive again, as he could have had an off-year but PLAYER 1 hasn’t shown that kind of drop off. This leads me to believe that PLAYER 1 is the safer bet.
Now, it is your turn BUT it is recommended that you make your choice prior to knowing each player’s true identity. As a team’s GM, intentionally hindering any decision, instead of doing what is best for the team is selfish, so try to decide before you peak. You have been warned.
PLEASE STOP!!! BELOW ARE THE REAL PLAYERS' NAMES!!!
For non-stat geeks, figuring out ‘who’ might be tough, so here are some real hints to see if you can guess:
- PLAYER 1 and PLAYER 2 have each won the MVP Award three times.
- They both won the MVP in their respective league in 2005.
- PLAYER 1 has played for three different AL teams.
- PLAYER 2 has only played for one NL team, where he won the 2001 NL ROY (rookie-of-the-year) Award.
- PLAYER 1 was a star shortstop before becoming a star third baseman.
- PLAYER 2 has only played first-base.
OK, have you guessed yet???
Alright, one last BIG hint:
PLAYER 1 currently plays for the New York Yankees, and PLAYER 2 currently plays for the St. Louis Cardinals, but is about to his the free agent market five days after he finished playing in the World Series.
PLAYER 1 is New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez; and PLAYER 2 is St. Louis Cardinals Albert Pujols.