India Cricket: MS Dhoni, Shahid Afridi, Sunil Gavaskar, Vinod Kambli Et Al

Linus FernandesAnalyst IIOctober 20, 2011

India Cricket: MS Dhoni, Shahid Afridi, Sunil Gavaskar, Vinod Kambli Et Al

At last, an all cricket edition of "What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Didn't Mean."

Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Shahid Afridi, Sunil Gavaskar, Vinod Kambli and Rajeev Shukla quip their way into this pick of quotable quotes.

Dhoni finds that stress grays out.

Afridi decides to Butt back in.

Kambli feels that the IPL is all about soaps.

Sunil Gavaskar is vainglorious about the 1983 World Cup winning team.

And Rajeev Shukla is gracious in Team India's defeat.

Rajeev Shukla Promotes English Cricket

"England have been losing for the last 10 years, most of their teams, and at football also. So therefore we’re absolutely happy because we want cricket to grow in England."

New IPL Chairman, Rajeev Shukla, is a jolly good fellow.

Shukla’s horizons have broadened since ascending the BCCI ladder. The IPL chief believes that the recent victory over India at home will benefit English sport.

Shukla said:

“As far as the fans were concerned they were not very happy, but in games, defeat and victory go together, you lose and you win, that happens."

Ironically, Shukla is troubled about the deleterious effect of IPL on Test cricket:

The effect IPL is having on Test cricket is also our concern. That is why we are doing our level best to promote Test cricket now.

We are playing more Test matches, there will be a focus on the Tests. We need to promote all three forms of the game and we are not thinking only from the position of money. There may be more money in Twenty20, more money in one-day, but it does not mean that we should compromise with Test cricket.

We are thinking that we should organise more Test matches in B towns because in the populated metropolises people are always in a hurry, they’re busier, they want Twenty20, they want the one-dayer. But in B grade cities in India where they hardly get any international cricket but still have large populations, if a Test match is organised people will want to watch it.

“We don’t mind losing on the field; we’re winning in the board room.”

What he definitely didn’t mean:

“I’m just learning the ropes; that’s the best positive spin I can put on an unmitigated disaster of a tour.”

Vinod Kambli Gets All Soapy over the IPL

“It’s like ‘Saas Bahu aur Saazish’ serial.”

Former India player and Sachin Tendulkar’s childhood partner, Vinod Kambli, compares the IPL to a gossipy TV program that covers the latest happenings in various soaps.

The southpaw slammed youngsters’ proclivity to choose popcorn cricket over the longer form of the game.

Today, the youngsters are looking to play in the IPL. Reason being fast money. One Ranji Trophy match and they are picked up for the Twenty20 tournament. From day one, their aim is to play in the IPL but one should understand that real cricket is Test cricket.

IPL is fun, entertainment and offer a short career with a lot of money.

Kambli recently retired from first class cricket.

Kambli said:

It’s for the youngsters to decide their priorities. We all know that IPL results in quick money, all the attention and facilities. But youngsters should give preference to the domestic cricket, which is the ideal platform to develop skill and temperament.
    When me and (Sachin) Tendulkar started our careers, there was no IPL. We gave preference to the domestic cricket because our aim was to play in Tests. Now, with IPL, so many matches are being played in two months’ time and it’s becoming like a serial. One day people would like to see a change.

The dashing left-hander, however, did not beg off from partaking of the IPL’s riches:

“Of course, why not! I would like to get associated with any of the IPL franchise as a coach or an expert if provided with the opportunity. Coaching is the first thing on my mind now.”

What Kambli really meant:

“IPL is like watching highlights—you only catch the big hits and fall of wickets.”

“I wish the IPL had happened earlier. Then I wouldn’t have to make all those ridiculous television appearances in chat, dance and news shows.”

What Kambli definitely didn’t mean:

“How about a soap opera on cricket—for a change? I’ll catch it on ‘Saas Bahu Aur Saazish’.

Shahid Afridi Unconditionally Un-Retires to International Cricket

I’m available to play for Pakistan. I never retired. I only said I wouldn’t play under the previous PCB management. I wasn’t comfortable with them because they didn’t respect players.

But as the board now has a new chairman and there’s a different team management, it is time to come back.

Shahid Afridi announces his comeback and availability for selection to the Pakistani cricket team.

The former skipper conditionally retired from international cricket after the tour to the West Indies this year, citing differences with then-PCB chairman Ijaz Butt and coach Waqar Younis.

Butt completed his term on October 8; Younis is no longer coach.

Afridi said:

“I’m fit and can play for Pakistan for a few more years I never ran after the captaincy. I just want to represent my country and can play under anyone.”

“What’s retirement but a word—a word to be used at the drop of a hat and forgotten just as quickly.”

What he definitely didn’t mean:

“But, what happens to Butt?”

Sunil Gavaskar Makes Looks Count

“I think the 1983 team was better-looking than the 2011 team.”

Sunil Gavaskar will concede nothing to the current World Cup winning squad.

“Sandeep Patil featured in a full-length Bollywood movie. Can any of you guys (with multiple dance show appearances) boast of anything remotely close?”

What he definitely didn’t mean:

“That’s because Kapil shared his Palmolive with us all; we were always clean-shaven.”

Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s World Is Greying Under Pressure

"I get influenced by pressure but I have so much gray hair because I don’t let expressions on field reveal this."

Indian cricket team skipper and World Cup winning champion—twice over—Mahendra Singh Dhoni discloses that he maintains his composure at all times on the field; the stress is revealed only in his prematurely grey thatch.

Dhoni credited then coach Gary Kirsten for the inspirational move up the order in the ODI World Cup final against Sri Lanka in April—a stratagem that nullified the Lankan spinners ascendance.

MSD said:

"I hadn’t planned to promote myself and play earlier. Gary asked me if I would go early. I thought with two spinners, maybe I should. It worked for me."

What Dhoni really meant:

“I’m seeking a hair dye sponsor. Godrej, come calling.”

What Dhoni definitely didn’t mean:

“Gray is the new black."