Boxing KO of the Day: Marvin Hagler vs. Thomas Hearns

HJ MaiCorrespondent IISeptember 21, 2011

It was 26 years ago when “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler and Thomas “Hitman” Hearns fought one of the greatest fights in boxing history.

The bout that became known as “The War” lasted only a little over eight minutes, but those minutes were full of action.

Hagler, the undisputed world champion, defended his middleweight titles against Hearns, the world’s junior middleweight champion, by knocking him out in the third round.

The bout took place at the Caesars Palace casino in Las Vegas on April 15, 1985.

The first round of the fight was the most unforgettable round of boxing ever seen. Both fighters came out flying, and proceeded to just viciously beat on each other.

It seemed that both fighters wanted to make a statement from the get-go, and boy, did they ever. The pace that Hagler and Hearns displayed electrified both the crowd and the millions watching on television, but it definitely took its toll on the two fighters.

During the greatest round of boxing, Hagler sustained a cut on his forehead that copiously bled, while Hearns fractured his right hand.

After the first round’s gong, people in the stands were jumping up and down and yelling themselves hoarse.

If you have to explain to your friends why you love boxing so much, just show them the first round of this fight. It has everything: the action, the blood, the atmosphere.

Round 2 continued where the first one left off, but both fighters had to reduce the pace.

The last and decisive Round 3 started with a pair of light rights from Hearns to Hagler’s face, who countered with a right himself.

The constant blows to Hagler’s face aggravated the cut on his forehand, to the point where ring referee Richard Steele called a timeout to let the ring doctor take a look at Hagler.

After a short examination, the bout continued and the defending champ switched into overdrive, fearing his titles were now in jeopardy.

He landed a booming right that forced Hearns to take a couple of steps back towards the ring's center. Hagler chased after him and landed another right to the Hitman’s temple, following it up with a left-right combination.

Hearns fell on Hagler’s shoulder, then slid down his body and hit the ring floor. Slow to get up, Hearns could not beat the count, and the greatest eight minutes of boxing were over.

Take eight minutes to watch the video and you will understand why people who saw this bout, whether live or on television, will never forget what happened on the night of April 15, 1985.