Jose Mourinho and Others: What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not

Linus FernandesAnalyst IIAugust 31, 2011

Jose Mourinho and Others: What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not

“I should have lived 100 years ago.”

Jose Mourinho, in an interview to Spanish daily El Mundo, believes that there are “very few people who have truth as a fundamental principle, non-hypocrisy,” something which existed “during the era of our grandparents and great-grandparents”.

The Real Madrid manager said:

“It’s precisely the opposite now: people are hypocritical, you don’t say what you think, you’re not sincere, you’re not honest, you think about surviving however you can.

“I may be mistaken but I always say what I think, what I feel, without fear of the consequences.

“And not many people accept that. I will never change. Yes, I should have lived 100 years ago.”

Mourinho added:

“I think it was Nietzsche, and this more than 100 years ago, who said that whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. That is what is happening to me.”

“There was no television then.”

“Heavens! I forgot there were no big soccer clubs either.”

Jose Mourinho Does Not Believe His Latest Infraction Is Monumental

"The other day a friend suggested to me that with all the stones thrown at me you could build a monument."

Real Madrid's manager, Jose Mourinho, is unrepentant about poking Barcelona assistant coach Tito Vilanova in the eye during a 3-2 loss to Barca. The Spanish football federation (RFEF) have instituted an inquiry into the incident.

Mourinho told Spanish newspaper El Mundo:

“"In contrast to other leagues where I’ve managed here I feel like there is a campaign against me.”

“If I had the time and the inclination, I’d collect these 'stones’ and put them to good use in a memorial.”

“I’m quitting coaching and going into construction.”

Paul Nixon Is the Retiring Kind

“I know all the Leicestershire players inside out, but I held Josh Cobb in my arms when he was born, which is scary. Luckily I didn’t drop him.”

Leicestershire wicketkeeper, Paul Nixon—on his retirement—discloses that the hardest catch he ever held was young ‘un, Josh Cobb, when he (Cobb) was a newborn. Nixon quit the game on a high with his side clinching the Friends Life T20 title beating Somerset by 20 runs.

“I know it’s time to quit the sport when I find (erstwhile) coddling babes toddling alongside me.”

What he definitely didn’t say:

“Now I’m dismissing batsmen off Cobb’s bowling. Oh, how times have changed.”

Darren Lehmann Lays Down the Rules, Not the Sword

“They’re going to have to play with plans to face all those sorts of bowlers, and really live or die by the sword.”

Former cricketer, Darren Lehmann, has words of advice for the current Australian team on how to tackle the Sri Lankan tweakers on slow home pitches.

Lehmann adds:

“Whatever plan it is, have it, believe it and implement it.”

“If cricketers are gladiators, then willows are sabres. Wield them like rapiers and scythe through Ajantha Mendis, Rangana Herath and Suraj Randiv.”

“Hoist yourselves on your own petards and collapse upon your wickets.”

Rafael Nadal Is Dogged by Doubt

“I doubt their intentions.”

Rafael Nadal has a healthy mistrust of dogs.

“I look at dogs and wonder, ‘What are they thinking? To bite or not to bite? To bark or not to bark? To chase or not to chase?”

“A dog is man’s best friend.”

Shashank Manohar Holds the BCCI Door Wide Open

“It is not as if the BCCI is a closed-door body.”

BCCI President, Shashank Manohar, defends the cricket board’s right to stay independent. The Indian sports ministry is seeking to classify the richest sports body in the world as a national federation under the proposed National Sports (Development) Bill 2011. It is believed that the move would make the BCCI accountable under the Right To Information (RTI) act—a view contested by the BCCI.

Manohar reacted claiming that the BCCI “being a non-governmental organization, which has its own constitution and generates its own funds” does not fall under any of the applicable categories.

“In fact, there are two orders passed by the country’s Chief Information Commissioner wherein it has been clearly stated that the RTI Act doesn’t apply to the BCCI."

The Board President contended:

“All said and done, cricket is the best administered sport in the country.”

“How can we have a closed door policy? There is no door. Lalit Modi’s generous tweets and disclosures (from UK) battered it down.”

“The BCCI is sanctioning the building of a fresh office—all glass.”