Maria Sharapova Et Al: What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not

Linus FernandesAnalyst IIAugust 30, 2011

Maria Sharapova Et Al: What They Said, Really Meant and Definitely Did Not

Ryan Harrison

“I didn’t break any racquets; I didn’t say swearwords on court.  It could have gotten better and I could have been better.  I didn’t really go nuts.”

Ryan Harrison has an entirely different view of his on-court behaviour in his first round straight-sets loss to Croatia’s Marin Cilic on the first day of the US Open.

“I was quite decorous in my on-court behaviour, wasn’t I? Look, no broken rackets, no abuse. Commendable, eh?”

“I’m that transparent, am I? What, my skidding my racquet gave me away?”

Andrea Petkovic Desires Tag 'Most Desirable'

What she said:

“I would be Jessica Alba and seduce all men.”

Andrea Petkovic believes that Jessica Alba is superhuman. The German tennis star answered as above when asked what super hero ability she desires.

What she really meant:

“Don’t tell anyone but I don’t buy into that WTA poster campaign Strong Is Beautiful’.

What she definitely didn’t:

Tennis stars aren’t heroic?”

“Jessica Alba isn’t really Susan Storm, the Invisible Woman?”

Lee Westwood Is Noisome on Twitter

"Glad Sharapova’s not playing in Crans this week! They’d hear her in Geneva! Come on Watson finish her off for the sake of our eardrums!"

Golfer Lee Westwood tweets his support for Britisher, Heather Watson, during her first round encounter with Maria Sharapova at the US Open on Monday, the 29th of August, 2011.

“Hell! I’m glad Maria’s not a golfer. Picture the havoc she’d wreak on our games with her shrieking and grunting after each stroke.”

“Bring on the vuvuzuelas as well!”

Petra Kvitova Heads Her Way out of the 2011 US Open

What she  said:

"It was the head."

Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has an explanation for her first round loss at the US Open to Romanian, Alexandra Dulgheru.

What she really meant:

“I understand psychology and physiology—if the head doesn’t function, the body parts follow.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“I’m gonna practice some soccer style headers with a tennis ball to prevent a recurrence.”

Maria Sharapova Is a One Sport Wonder

What she said:

I’m terrible at other sports. I don’t even try.”

Maria Sharapova confesses that she’s not gifted—she’s a specialist and a success in tennis alone.

What she really meant:

“I love to win and since I can’t excel at other sports, I don’t even try. That reminds me, that I haven’t been winning that much in tennis either.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“It doesn’t mean that I don’t watch other sports. Sasha catches mine, I catch his (basketball).”

Andrea Petkovic Is Not Hurried by Irene

What she said:

“If this was a hurricane, then I basically live in a constant tornado in Griesheim, Germany, where I live.”

Andrea Petkovic blogs that Hurricane Irene that hit New York city on Aug 28, 2011—the eve of the US Open— was a mere squall in comparison to the weather in her home town.

What she really meant:

“Much ado about nothing, in particular. Our matches haven’t been rescheduled, so it’s no big deal.”

What she definitely didn’t:

“I need lessons in English grammar, so that I don’t repeat the same word twice or more in a single sentence.”

Caroline Wozniacki Cannot Unlearn Tennis That Easily

What she said:

"I’m not going to forget how to play tennis in a few days."

Women’s No.1 , Caroline Woznicaki, dismisses suggestions that her US Open performance will be affected by her split from her current coach and father, Piotr Wozniacki.

What she really meant:

“I cannot play worse—without one. Can I?”

What she definitely didn’t say:

“If Marion (Bartoli) and Andy (Murray) can yell at their parents and entourage, why can’t I fire my dad?”