FC Dallas vs. Sporting Kansas City: Analysis and Review

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
FC Dallas vs. Sporting Kansas City: Analysis and Review
KANSAS CITY, KS - AUGUST 27: Bobby Warshaw #16 of the FC Dallas celebrates his second half goal with Ugo Ihemelu #3 as Kei Kamara #23 of the Sporting KC looks on during their MLS match at Livestrong Sporting Park during an MLS match on August 27, 2011 in Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Ed Zurga/Getty Images)

FC Dallas rookie Bobby Warshaw was the hero as the Hoops came back from what was an almost insurmountable 2-0 hole to beat Sporting Kansas City, 3-2.

Dallas looked pitiful through the first half and well into the second, and Kansas City fans were probably feeling quite confident that Sporting's stellar record of 10-7-5 against Dallas would see another tally in the win column.

The first goal of the night came off of a defensive miscue between Ugo Ihemelu and Bruno Guarda, which resulted in Kei Kamara coolly slotting a shot past Kevin Hartman to the far post. Dallas' defense continued to look bad through most of the match, allowing Kansas City many chances on goal.

After the half ended, play continued much like it had for the first half of the match, with Dallas seemingly always on their heels, never able to put together a strong, concentrated attack. Chances were few and far between and possession was practically gifted to Kansas City all night long, resulting in Kansas City's second goal of the night in the 68th minute of play.

Dallas would soon respond though as Ihemelu pulled one back for the visiting side in the 70th minute. After that goal, play seemed more balanced, and Dallas seemed to connect a bit more and looked better on the ball.

In the 89th minute of play, Brek Shea worked outside after getting the ball in the center of the field, then clinically crossed it to one of Dallas' newer players Maicon Santos, who headed it in to put the teams level.

KANSAS CITY, KS - AUGUST 27: Omar Bravo #99 of Sporting KC takes the ball past Bruno Guarda #8 of FC Dallas in the first half at Livestrong Sporting Park on August 27, 2011 in Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Ed Zurga/Getty Images)

With two of the three minutes in injury time gone, rookie Dallas midfielder Bobby Warshaw managed to get the ball forward and it ended up with Brek Shea, who yet again crossed it into the box, giving Warshaw the chance to score the game-winning goal as well as his first career MLS goal.

Dallas got the win tonight, but it was mostly because of their near-miraculous efforts in the last 20 minutes of the game. They also benefited from the sending off of Teal Bunbury, who was shown a red in the 76th minute of the match after having been cautioned earlier.

Kansas City's recent reputation for giving up goals in the last few minutes of play also showed heavily here, as they seemed to be quite disheartened after Dallas equalized.

Despite their poor play, Dallas fans will be slightly relieved to know that Andrew Jacobson performed well tonight at centre-back, and his presence helped to solidify an otherwise scrambling defense that looked slightly out of form. Ihemelu was also strong on the back, but will miss the next match against New England for receiving a caution in the match.

While the team seemed to suffer from exhaustion due to an abundance of road games and looked well out of the match until the 70th minute, Dallas once again proved their reputation as the team that never gives up with tonight's win.

They got the three points they needed despite a poor early performance, and will surely count this game as a lucky win given their three game winless streak.

FC Dallas

Subscribe Now

By signing up for our newsletter, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Thanks for signing up.