NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Jared McCain's Playoff Career-High 🗣️

Alistair Overeem's Manager Bas Boon and UFC President Dana White Speak Out

Leon HorneJun 2, 2018

UFC president Dana White and Golden Glory co-owner Bas Boon have spoken to the media about the situation concerning Alistair Overeem's status in the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament and with the promotion.

Although Overeem won't be continuing in the Strikeforce tournament, it doesn't look as if his career fighting under their banner is over just yet as evidence by the statements made by White and Boon today.

Earlier this evening MMAJunkie.com reported that Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem was pulled out of the heavyweight tournament and up and comer Daniel Cormier was asked to step in his place and fight Antonio Silva in the semifinal.

TOP NEWS

UFC Freedom 250 Press Conference

UFC Unveils White House Renderings

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet

Manziel-Menery Fight Details 📝

UFC 264: Poirier v McGregor 3

UFC 6 Reveals 5-Star Fighter Ratings

Overeem was a guest on The MMA Hour with host Ariel Helwani before the aforementioned announcement. Overeem stated that he would not fight in the tournament semifinals on September 10.

“"That is not going to take place," Overeem told Helwani. "Stikeforce has requested me to accept the fight for Sept. 10, to agree on that, but I have not agreed on it and I also had some emails, some questions asked, is the fight confirmed? No, the fight is not confirmed. I do not confirm it and I will not confirm it."

Overeem went on to say that his job has been threatened and that he does not react nicely with people who threaten him.

"What's going to happen next, I don't know. I've had some threats of cutting me out of the tournament if I don't participate. I don't know if they're going to do it. Personally, I don't like to be threatened. If people start talking like that then...be my guest, but then I'm really not going to sing to their tune," Overeem told Helwani.

As the day wore on, Boon sent an email to Bleacher Report in what appears to be a general statement released to the media explaining Overeem's situation and status with Zuffa LLC, the parent company of the UFC and Strikeforce, along with his status in the Strikeforce tournament.

First and foremost, Overeem's reason for being pulled from the tournament had to do with a nagging injury.

"When Alistair fought Werdrum he broke his toe in the training towards this important fight and he wants to make sure to be 100 percent fit for his upcoming fight with Big Foot." Boon said.

Boon went on to say that negotiations with Zuffa are still on.

"The management is still in negotiations with the UFC/Strikeforce, we regret that Alistair said certain things in this interview [with Helwani]. However, we do understand that Alistair is getting frustrated about the whole situation." Boon said.

Finally Boon hopes for the best and that both parties will be able to come to an agreement.

"We have a difficult situation which causes pressure on both sides [Zuffa's and Overeem's]. We really would like to work things out for this tournament and will do our best in finding a solution which can be acceptable for all involved parties." Boon said.

To bring things full circle, the latest development was in statements made by Dana White to MMAJunkie.com  concerning Overeem and the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament.

"Sept. 10 was the date Showtime wants us to go, so it's the date we've got to go," White told MMAJunkie.com "It's unfortunate that Alistair is unavailable, but situations like this are why there are alternates in the tournament."

Despite the unfortunate turn of events for both Strikeforce and Overeem, according to White the Strikeforce heavyweight champion will fight again.

"Overeem is under contract, and when his pinky toe heals up, we'll get him another fight," White said.

Overeem most definitely won't be continuing in the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament due to his injury and inability to make the September date. Despite being out of the tournament Zuffa will honor the last fight on his contract and if Strikeforce manages to finish the tournament soon enough fans might get to see Overeem defend his heavyweight title against the tournament winner in early 2012.

It will be of interest to fans, media and Zuffa LLC to see whether or not Overeem participates again in the K1 Grand Prix which he won in 2011 or if he pursues a boxing match in the fall against either Wladamir or Vitali Klitschko as discussed on The MMA Hour. Now that his fall schedule has opened up anything can happen.

Leon Horne is a writer for Bleacher Report, follow him on Twitter: 

Jared McCain's Playoff Career-High 🗣️

TOP NEWS

UFC Freedom 250 Press Conference

UFC Unveils White House Renderings

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet

Manziel-Menery Fight Details 📝

UFC 264: Poirier v McGregor 3

UFC 6 Reveals 5-Star Fighter Ratings

Charity Day 2024 Hosted by The Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund at Cantor

McGregor 'Better Than Ever'

Netflix's Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano

Ronda Officially Retires 🫡

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released
Bleacher Report7h

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released

Family says NASCAR star's death occurred after 'severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis' (AP)

TRENDING ON B/R