Red Raiders-Longhorns: No. 7 Texas Tech Humbles No. 1 Texas

Andrew GloverCorrespondent INovember 2, 2008

Graham Harrell finds Michael Crabtree for a 28-yard touchdown pass with one second left to propel No. 7 Texas Tech to an upset victory over the No. 1 Texas Longhorns, 39-33.

Harrell had 36 completions out of 53, for 474 yards and two touchdowns. Crabtree had 10 receptions for 127 yards and one touchdown. Shannon Woods led the Red Raiders in rushing with 15 carries for 71 yards. Baron Batch added 10 carries for 51 yards and a touchdown.

For the Longhorns (8-1), Colt McCoy completed 20 passes out of 34 for 294 yards two touchdowns and one interception. McCoy, who averages 52 yards rushing per game, was held to 16 yards on 13 carries.

The Tech defense also sacked him four times. Foswhitt Whitaker led the Longhorns in rushing with six carries for 42 yards. Malcolm Williams was the leading receiver with four receptions for 182 yards and two touchdowns.

Tech’s win over Texas was their first ever against a No. 1 ranked opponent. The Red Raiders (9-0) lost their first seven against No. 1 ranked opponents. In addition, the win was Tech’s 500th victory in school history and moves Tech to 9-0 for the first time since 1938.

Leading 29-19 in the fourth, the Red Raiders drove down the field. Harrell hit Adam James for a 12-yard pass. Then hit Edward Britton for a 34-yard pass to the Texas 34. Britton picked up another first down with a 13-yard catch. The Longhorns' defense would not allow any more. Woods gained three yards on a run. After an incomplete pass, Harrell was sacked by Sergio Kindle for a loss of 16 yards. Matt Williams’s 42-yard field goal was blocked.

McCoy took advantage quickly, finding Williams on a 91-yard pass, and with the extra point, Texas only trailed 29-26.

The Red Raiders would extend their lead on their next drive. Harrell found Detron Lewis for a 22-yard gain and then completed a 15-yard pass to Britton. Harrell and Britton connected again to move the ball to the Texas 21. Batch picked up a first down to move the ball to the Texas 10. However, Crabtree was called for offensive pass interference, and Harrell threw three straight incomplete passes.

Donnie Carona, who struggled as a kicker this season, hit a 42-yard field goal to give Tech a 32-26 lead.

The Longhorns started at their own 20 with 5:45 remaining in the game. On 3rd-and-5, McCoy hit Brandon Collins for a 14-yard pass to the Texas 39. Whitaker gained 21 yards on a run to the Texas Tech 40. Jordan Shipley caught a 10-yard pass to the Tech 30. Chris Ogbonnaya picked up the first with a six-yard run to the 19.

McCoy gained six-yards to set up first and goal from the five. Vondrell McGee finished the drive with a four-yard run. Hunter Lawrence’s extra point gave the Longhorns a 33-32 lead with 1:29 left.

Tech started at their own 38 after a 38-yard return by Jamar Wall. Harrell hit Batch for an eight-yard gain and then hit Lewis for a five-yard gain. Lewis picked up another first with an 11-yard pass to the Texas 38. Britton caught a 10-yard pass to the Texas 38.

The Longhorns almost dashed the Red Raiders hopes, but Blake Gideon dropped the potential interception. Harrell did not allow Texas any more chances connecting with Crabtree on a 28-yard pass.

After the touchdown, mayhem occurred. Tech students started to storm the field but were sent back to review the play. After the play was confirmed Tech students started to rush two more times, costing Tech to two personal fouls and making the Red Raider kick off from the seven. However, Texas could not pull a miracle return and the students rushed again to celebrate the victory.

In the first half, Tech jumped out early on the Longhorns. In an unusual start to the game, Tech’s defense got the first points instead of the offense. After the offense’s first drive stalled at the Texas 44, Jonathan LaCour landed his punt inside the Texas two.

On Texas’ first play from scrimmage, Cody Whitlock tackled Ogbonnaya in the end zone for a safety to put Tech ahead 2-0.

After Harrell connected with Lewis for 15 yards, Crabtree for 15 and 18 yards, Tech was not able to move the ball further. Matt Williams increased Tech’s lead with a 29-yard field goal.

The Longhorns’ offense struggled as well. After picking up a first down on 4th-and-1, McCoy threw three straight incompletions and the Longhorns had to punt.

Batch would get the first touchdown of the game for the Red Raiders with a three-yard run capping off a 96-yard drive.

After a three-and-out by Texas, Tech would score again, with Harrell connecting with Eric Morris on an 18-yard touchdown pass increasing Tech’s lead to 19-0.

The Longhorns would get on the board in the second quarter. After a second consecutive three-and-out by the Red Raiders’ defense, Harrell completed a 15-yard pass to Crabtree, who fumbled and Aaron Williams recovered for the Longhorns.

Texas would move the ball to the Red Raiders’ 16. McCoy would be sacked twice causing the Longhorns to settle with a 43-yard field goal.

Tech went into halftime leading 22-6. The Longhorns' offense still had problems. After picking up a first down in two plays, The Red Raider defense held Texas to a punt.

The Longhorns forced the Red Raiders into a three-and-out. Jordan Shipley returned LaCour’s punt for a 45-yard touchdown to cut Tech’s lead to 22-13.

Tech’s next offense possession stalled in Texas territory and had to punt. Nevertheless, the defense put more points on the board. Daniel Charbonnet intercepted McCoy and took it 17 yards for a touchdown to increase Tech’s lead to 29-13.

The Longhorns again stopped Tech for a three-and-out. The Red Raiders had the Longhorns stopped. Colt McCoy lost eight yards on a run and threw an incompletion on 3rd-and-15.

However, Wall was called for pass interference, and the Longhorns drive continued. McCoy connected with Williams for a 37-yard touchdown pass, and after a failed two-point conversion, Texas cut Tech’s lead to 29-19.

Tech will host No. 9 Oklahoma State (8-1) next week, and the Longhorns will host Baylor (3-6).