Athletes are not geniuses—there are plenty of athletes who might not be able to spell "genius." The ability to hit a ball or run fast does not relate to quantum physics or Pythagorean Theorem in any shape or form.
Simply put, our sports heroes are kind of dumb. This list of quotes will prove to you how uneducated some of them really are.
"I don't think there's anybody in this organization not focused on the 49ers... I mean Chargers."
- This is possibly the most exciting thing Belichick has ever said. I would rather watch paint dry than listen to a post game interview of his.
"Hawaii doesn't win many games in the United States."
-He must have missed the day in grade school when all of the states were covered. I would understand if he chose to omit New Jersey, but not Hawaii. Lee also has been known to simply refer to the speaking English as "American."
"Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points, they almost always win."
Yes Coach Collins, that does seem to make sense. Although the 76ers rarely score 100 points, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
"[My] career was sputtering until [I] did a 360 and got headed in the right direction."
- I hear people say this quite often, so I won't rip Tracy—too much. I take it he didn't say this before he signed with the Pistons. His retirement is coming soon, at that point he will have much more time to study geometry and how to pass the ball to the open man.
"Fear was absolutely necessary. Without it, I would have been scared to death."
- This is very "Berra-esque." I have no clue what he meant or what he was getting at, but his fear prevented him from being truly afraid. One too many shots to the head for Patterson.
"90 percent of putts that are short don't go in."
- Berra is full of gems like this one. He is almost as well known for his ridiculous sayings and catch phrases as he is for his playing days. Golf is frustrating, but I suspect golf with Yogi might be pretty entertaining.
"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
- Prince Fielder, Cecil Fielder, CC Sabathia, Babe Ruth.....need I say more? Some professional baseball players look more like Midwest Mechanics than sports superstars.
"It's a humbling thing being humble."
- You know whats really humbling, being college football's best running back at a top notch program and then finding yourself out of the NFL three years later. I bet he was selling autographs for tattoo's too!
"All I'm asking for is what I want."
- Being the fastest man in the history of baseball does not necessarily come with a mind that works as fast as your legs do.