Habs Players Say The Dardnest Things
In honor of their 100th anniversary, relive the past with quotes from current and former members of the Montreal Canadiens.
- Just five games into the 1995-96 season, the Canadiens fired GM Serge Savard and coach Jacques Demers. A few days later Rejean Houle became the new GM with Mario Tremblay as the head coach and Yvan Cournoyer as the assistant coach. None of these men have experience in the past with similar positions. Reporters asked Patrick Roy about his thought about them:
“I was watching the news on RDS (Québec Sports Network) and when I saw them appear, I went to the shower. I took a cold shower to make sure that I was really awake...”
Patrick Roy - September 1995
“I'll never play for another team. When they won't want me anymore at the Forum, I'll retire.”
Serge Savard - November 1977, four years before he signed with the Winnipeg Jets
- Guy Lafleur backed the Canadiens’ decision to draft Doug Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard in the 1st round. His explanation?
“Despite his talent, we don’t need a guy like Denis Savard. What we need is a big center, a heavy guy who’s not afraid of physical hockey and who can stay in front of the net without being moved away by the big defensemen we have in the NHL nowadays.”
Guy Lafleur -September 1980
The numbers speak for themselves:
Games Goals Assists Points
Savard 1196 476 864 1337
Wickenheiser 556 111 165 286
- During practice in Tampa Bay in 1995-96, some Habs players were complaining about the ice conditions at the Thunderdome. Forward Marc Bureau mentioned that "the ice is always terrible here." New assistant coach Yvan Cournoyer replied to him:
“What do you know about the ice here? First of all, did you ever play here?”
Marc Bureau had played for the Tampa Bay Lighting for 3 years.
“God would I like being 7 or 8 years younger...”
Guy Carbonneau, age 39 - May 26, 1999, on being asked about having to shadow Peter Forsberg during the play-offs.
- On the eve of his first game of the season, in December, after missing training camp and two months because of an injury:
“I don’t want to be nostalgic, but it’s always difficult to come back after a long absence.”
Patrice Brisebois - December 1999
- When talking to Vic Hadfield who had a hard shot with his “banana-blade” stick but would shoot the puck into the stands 50% of the time:
“Have you ever seen a stadium that has the nets in the third balcony? Are you blind or what?”
Bernard Geoffrion – 1971
- Jacques Plante about being a goaltender:
“Stressful? Do you know a lot of jobs where everytime you make a mistake, a red light goes off over your head and 15,000 people start booing?”
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?