St. Louis Blues Rally Late, Beat Chicago Blackhawks 4-3

Joey ColemanContributor IOctober 18, 2008

After a dominating win against the Stars two nights ago, the Blues made it a little more interesting.  If you missed this game, you missed probably the best game so far this year.  I know its early, but oh boy this was a thriller.

40 seconds into the first period Patrick Kane tapped in a suspect goal past Manny Legace.  Legace had made a harmless save on a shot from the point and thought about coming out to get to the rebound then took a step back and it was too late to get into position to stop Kane's shot. 

After that it was just the Blues and Blackhawks going up and down the blue lines creating chances.

Three minutes into the second the Blackhawks took a 2-0 lead when Brian Campell took a pass from Patrick Kane just outside the blue-line, skated into the slot, and wristed one past Legace who was partially screened by Eric Brewer. 

With three minutes left Chris Porter, who was just called up, scored his first ever NHL goal on a rebound off a shot from Barrett Jackman.  It was an ironic call because the whole game the announcers were talking about North Dakota teammates Jonathan Toews and T.J. Oshie, but did not say a word about former Sioux Chris Porter in these talks. 

Patrick Kane scored his second goal of the game on the power play on a wrister off the cross bar and in.  Keith Tkachuk kept his scoring streak alive scoring again with his sixth of the year.  Then, with 20 seconds left in the game, Andy McDonald snuck a wrister past Nikolai Khabibulin

The overtime period was dominated by the Blues as they were able to get a power play with about four minutes left in the overtime.  The Blues had multiple great scoring chances off this, but Khabibulin played a phenominiol game and was able to stop them.

The shootout started out with a great move by Andy McDonald, but he was unable to capitalize when he had Khabibulin down. He just shanked his backhand way wide. 

Patrick Kane then tried the patented move of fake forehand roof the backhand, but he was just unable to get it high enough. 

Boyes took the next shot for the Blues and he just sniped it top shelf past Khabibulin's glove.  Toews answered right back with a very weak five hole goal.  Both Paul Kariya and Kris Versteeg were robbed, so it went to a sudden death shootout. 

Oshie was first to shoot for the Blues and he made a great move and put in a forehand past Khabibulin.  Martin Havlat had a chance to extend the game, but just could not complete his opportunity.