MMA fans who can’t wait for UFC 129 on Saturday night can get their fight fix this morning at 11:30 Eastern as M-1 Challenge XXV takes place from the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia.
Here is a look at today’s fights:
Shamil Zavurov (19-1) will defend his M-1 welterweight title against Yasubey Enomoto in the main event.
Zavurov is a three-time world combat sambo champion who dominated American Tom Gallichio in his first title defense.
He was scheduled to take on the one man who has defeated him, Rashid Magomedov, but he had to drop out due to an injury, opening the door to the well-rounded Enomoto (6-2), who fights out of his family’s dojo in Switzerland.
M-1 will also crown a new light heavyweight champion when Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Vinny Magalhaes (7-5) takes on fellow submission specialist Viktor Nemkov (10-2).
Maxim Grishin (7-5) will try to bounce back from a loss to Heavyweight Champion Guram Gugenishvili when he takes on Vladimir Kuchenko, who sports a 4-8-1 record but outweighs Maxim by 62 pounds.
Other fights on the show include:
- Light heavyweights: Mikhail Zayats (13-5) vs. Malik Merad (10-6)
- Welterweights: Arsen Temirkhanov (8-1) vs. Juanma Suarez (6-0)
- Middleweights: Murad Magomedov (6-6) vs. Ramzan Algeriev (1-0)
- Heavyweights: Alexander Volkov (10-3) vs. Denis Goltsov (2-2)
- Welterweights: Alexander Yakolev (10-3) vs. Christian Eckerlin (6-0)
- Middleweights: Andrei Semenov (29-9-2) vs. Luigi Fioravanti (22-8)
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!