I'm a film buff as well as a sports buff, so here goes. I bring you my top 10 sports movies of all time. Let the debates begin!
1. Hoosiers—Great acting by Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. Very good period stuff, authentic action. These kids really played basketball. Uplifting. Great music track. Terrific ending.
2. Raging Bull—Two Oscars, great directing (Martin Scorsese) and acting (Robert De Niro).
3. Rudy—I'm a sucker for inspirational, uplifting stories (see Hoosiers).
4. Field of Dreams—One of Kevin Costner's best. Wonderful scenes with Burt Lancaster in his last movie as well as James Earl Jones. The heartfelt scene at the end playing catch.
5. The Natural—Again, good period stuff and Robert Redford really can throw and swing a bat (versus Gary Cooper or William Bendix). Wonderful, although somewhat corny ending.
6. Phar Lap—An Australian film that you may not have seen. Wonderful, inspirational true story of a racehorse. If you liked Sea Biscuit, you'll love this movie.
7. Major League—Best sports comedy. Terrific characters. Good acting job by Charlie Sheen ("Wild One"), Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen.
8. A League of Their Own—Great job directing by Penny Marshall. Good jobs by Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Jon Lovitz, and Madonna. Who can forget the line, "There's no crying in baseball"? Neat ending at the Baseball Hall of Fame reunion.
9. Bad News Bears—Wonderful, funny, down to earth. Great job by Walter Mathau as well as the kids.
10. Rocky—Three Oscars. Need I say more?
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!