Nebraska vs. USC in Holiday Bowl

PSU Wins Pinstripe Bowl in OT

The 2nd Greatest College Football Season Ever

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
The 2nd Greatest College Football Season Ever

The 2nd Greatest Year in College Football Ever

 

Disclaimer: This is fiction. This did not really happen (yet).

 

FedEx BCS Championship Game: USC 59, Oklahoma 24.

 

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: BYU 48, Missouri 34

 

Allstate Sugar Bowl: South Florida 29, Florida 28

 

FedEx Orange Bowl: Boise State 31, Alabama 21

 

Rose Bowl by Citi: Penn State 22, Oregon 16

 

Other Notables:

 

Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl: Utah 44, Arizona State 10

 

GMAC Bowl: East Carolina 35, Tulsa 30

 

Poinsettia Bowl: TCU 42, Indiana 6

 

Why is it the 2ndgreatest? Because the BCS was given a kick to the curb after too many teams from non-BCS (old boy club) teams beat down the BCS standards. And the ones who didn’t received the club invitation beat down their bowl opponents with authority to show that they belong in competition with the “big boys”. So the tyrannical reign of old men ended.

But next year we’ll see a +1 for the BCS busters to get into the BCS, then the BCS bowl games, then another +1 for the championship.

 

What is the greatest year?

 

When 32 teams line up across from each other in 4 “Big Bowl” regional tournaments to play for the right to line up across from each other in the championship game. Until then, the SEC is hype, the Mountain West and WAC are having fluke years, and Mark May is a College Football expert.

 

Why the BCS is a false precedent:

 

The word “precedent” means “an example for later action or decision”. The BCS is based on the precedent that 55% of the teams in college football should be assumed to be better than the other 45%. This is all well and good, except for the fact that this is all decided before the season starts, and it so happens that the selected “better” teams are the same, year in and year out.

 

The problem is not that this system is “unfair”, though by definition, it is.

 

The problem is that this system is unproven, even in the best years for BCS conferences. It has never been proven that these “elite” teams are in all instances better than the lowly 45% who are arbitrarily locked out of championship contention. Under these circumstances, there is no reason for the other 45% of teams to exist in Division 1 football play- they might as well break off or self-demote to the Football Championship Division.

 

This brings us to why the BCS exists:

 

Because BCS teams are superior, they play lower echelon teams to pad their BCS resumes. WRONG. They don’t. They play FCS teams to pad their resumes. They play unforgiving conference schedules and pad the resume with non-contenders. Shame on them.

 

The precedent is proven false:

 

1) By non-inclusion- BCS teams refuse to schedule non-BCS teams because of a higher degree of parity in football. They have not effectively competed for the title.

 

2) By arithmetic- BCS teams have lost to non-BCS teams every year since the inception of the BCS. We like to call many of these occurrences “Cinderella stories” or “upsets”. Are they really so?

 

3) Because of #2, argument #1 is supported even more.

 

 So why does the BCS exist? Money, most likely. Big teams cost big money and guarantees of big money are always nicer than the prospect of big money. I can’t think of any other reasons. But that is beside the point.

 

The BCS is a false pretense. Its purpose has never been for anything other than to select the 2 best college football teams in the nation and have them play for the title. In that role, it has necessarily failed every year by not including possible competition for that title.

 

Even if my alma mater Trojans should fall that the BCS might also fall, may it be so that we can enjoy a more competitive college football season and not wait until week 4 for the top 10 to start playing somebody.

 

Of all the times that it has been said to the folks in zebra stripes during a sporting event, this may be the only time in a sports fan’s life that he/she can say, with some semblance of logic to back up his/her words: “Let ‘em play!”

 

Load More Stories

Follow Boise State Football from B/R on Facebook

Follow Boise State Football from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Boise State Football

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.