Saskatchewan Roughriders Fall Short of Another Fourth Quarter Comeback

TJ ZwarychSenior Writer ISeptember 14, 2008

The Saskatchewan Roughriders drop to 8-3 after another very thrilling fourth quarter to the BC Lions. The Lions win the first of the home and home in a bad offensive struggle for the Riders.

If losing isn't bad enough, to make things worse for the Riders, during the opening kickoff, Roughriders defensive back Brandon Lynch broke his leg, making that the sixth broken leg for the Roughriders already this season. That's just over an average of one every two games!

It was really a defensive battle as there was only one touchdown in the first half and that belonged to Charles Roberts getting his first touchdown as a BC Lion. After a good start for Luca Congi going 3-3 for the Riders on field goals, the Lions lead 11-9 at the half.

The Roughriders had a terrible third quarter as they didn't score a point as the Lions hit one field goal set up by a Barron Miles interception to put the Lions up 14-9 at the end of the third.

However, we all know how the Roughriders can come back in the fourth quarter and instantly start out great and it leads to a victory right? I mean, they will surely do it again as soon as the fourth quarter starts right? Wrong. The very first play of the fourth quarter, quarterback Buck Pierce throws a 43-yard pass to Paris Jackson to take the lead 21-9.

After letting up another touchdown was when the Riders finally woke up and started playing. The Riders answered back the very next drive as Michael Bishop lead them through an 89-yard drive capped by a six-yard touchdown pass to Canadian slotback Adam Nicolson, which made it 21-16 Lions. But the Lions would not let this game slip away, with 3:24 left to play, Buck Pierce through a 77-yard pass to Geroy Simon to make it 28-16 Lions.

But just when we think all is lost, the Riders keep tugging at our hearts to give us false hope. With 2:35 to go, Bishop throws a 60-yard bomb to slotback Michael Palmer. The Riders capped the drive off with a touchdown plunge by Wes Cates on third down to bring the Riders within five with 1:46 left to play.

The Riders tried a short kick but didn't get it so it was there turn to try on defense. The Lions went two and out capped by an eight-yard sack by Maurice Lloyd to put the Riders back on offence.

So the Riders had one more chance, a possible game winning drive with just over a minute left at there own 36-yard line. Could they do it? No. Bishop was sacked twice and he fumbled the ball so the Lions went on kneeling and won the game.

"We knew it was going to be tough and we didn't play the way we should've early on," said a defeated Rider Ken Miller after the game. "We took penalties and threw behind our seocndary. We can't rely on fourth quarter comebacks."

Although they lost, I would like to throw a congrats to Wes Cates, who became the first rusher to break the 1,000 yard mark this season and to Maurice Lloyd who one defensive player of the game with one sack and a forced fumble.