In a sudden development, undefeated WBC silver middleweight titlist Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will not be facing original opponent Alfonso Gomez on December 4, but rather top 10 contender Pawel “Raging Bull” Wolak due to an injury sustained by Gomez.
A regretful Gomez withdrew from the upcoming contest after an MRI detected a torn ligament in his left elbow, the likes of which probably resulted from overextending his punches.
Replacement opponent Wolak (27-1, 17 KOs), will be challenging Chavez Jr. with two years of uninterrupted wins under his belt, with half of his last six coming by way of knockout.
Wolak, rated No. 7 middleweight in the world by the WBA, had his last performance on the Miguel Cotto-Yuri Foreman undercard which took place at the Yankee stadium in June.
“The Raging Bull,” known for his aggression and ability to make for wildly entertaining fights, fought James Moore (17-2) and won an impressive 10-round unanimous decision.
Ivan Edwards, Wolak’s manager, told Fanhouse, “It’s a great opportunity. We’re very much looking forward to the fight. And I think that the fight has been overdue, and Pawel is ready to go.”
Wolak’s team was especially excited with the turn of events since Wolak was set to face Chavez, 24, earlier this year, before a potential bout between Chavez and WBA junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto put negotiations on hold.
Chavez Jr., son of legendary fighter Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., is still looking for a clash with Cotto. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who promotes both fighters, said he would be open to the idea.
Cotto turned Chavez down in October in a first round of negotiations, saying essentially he didn’t feel Chavez had the requisite experience or brand to be worthy of a fight.
Chavez will look to improve on all of that with Wolak.
By: Kevin High - Bettor.com: SJ Blog Partners/Contributing Authors
Join in the discussion on this and other topics in the NEW Sports Jabber Forums!