The Yankees had a lead with A.J. Burnett on the mound, but manager Joe Girardi got greedy and left him in too long as the Rangers eventually broke the game open for a 10-3 victory at Yankee Stadium.
Here are some highlights:
- Burnett held the Rangers to two runs over five innings, but gave up a three-run shot to Bengie Molina in the sixth that put the Yankees behind 5-3.
- Mark Teixeira seriously injured his groin running to first base. He’s likely out for the remainder of the playoffs no matter how long the Yankees go.
- Robinson Cano and Derek Jeter each had multiple hits, including a Cano solo shot. Nobody else had more than one hit.
The Yankees have a tall order ahead of them. They have to win the next three games, and they have to face Cliff Lee again in Game 7, if it gets that far.
- October 18, 2010 -- Yankees News: Rotation is Set, Cliff Lee’s Hat, Teixeira’s Thumb, and More
- October 7, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Teixeira, Burnett, Rivera, and Girardi
- September 28, 2010 -- An A.J. Disaster
- September 22, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Teixeira, Marte, and More
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!