I'm not one to go out on a limb. Ever. I either throw my support behind something, or not at all. I usually, usually come off looking decent. But I rarely ever jump on the bandwagon for anything. I always think everything out and I make a fully educated observation on how I want to go with that certain topic.
But after last night, and reading today's spoilers (won't expose any so no worries) I'm gonna go fan boy. I'm gonna just enjoy the moment. I don't care if you didn't like Bound For Glory, the out comes, or the directions or anything of the sort. I don't. This is a column for those who did, who are excited for the future. Who expect this feud, this storyline to be amazing, who don't sit there and scream bloody murder just because they are "more informed".
So many TNA haters have taken up the arms to bash the events of the last 24 hours... Why? I'm not sure. Maybe they see something that could be truly good and don't want to admit it? I don't know why people don't seem to see why what's good for TNA is good for wrestling as a whole. Maybe it's because TNA beat WWE to the punch by turning their biggest star heel first? Is it because people still associate Hogan with deterring careers? Is it because fans actually think that all we're going to see is a rehashed angle?
Does this new storyline excite you?
Why rehashed you ask? Well for those who don't know The Ocean Center was home to the birth of the New World Order (nWo). The people will scream and stomp their feat that just because Hogan and a group unveiling happened there at Bound For Glory. That's where the similarities end (unless you want to look at Eric Bischoff's involvement.) What was the nWo? A great idea with no real direction. Why? Because the nWo was a group that was limited by their super fat, creative control contracts. Those contracts don't exist anymore. So now when the angle is supposed to end, it will end. It won't end in the middle of the summer three years for now when Hogan gets hurt and Nash is the only member of the group.
I don't know how it's going to end, all I know is that this is going to be interesting. It will be an angle born with with the idea of what the nWo was supposed to be. But not just the nWo, The Main Event Mafia, The Corporation, The Millionaires Club, The New Blood, Evolution and every other mega group. The group will be sustained by two TNA originals and the biggest name right now in wrestling, Jeff Jarrett, Abyss and Jeff Hardy.
They will bring in some more members I guarantee you. But what it does is set up so many interesting story lines. Like...
- Will Nash and Sting direct their attention against Bischoff, Hogan and Company? Or will the overwhelming numbers cause the two legends to step away from wrestling for good.
- Will Pope and Joe, two of TNA's young guns push for revenge against Jeff Jarrett and Bischoff? With those two making up the core of those already wronged with more then a year in the company, they would ideally be the focal point of the resistance from the end of tenured TNA stars.
- When will Rob Van Dam get his revenge against Jeff Hardy? TNA has done an AMAZING job of putting over their friendship over the months they've both been TNA. So with the revelation of Hardy being a part of the group (maybe more?) that laid out RVD and then being the one who started the beat down at Bound For Glory.
- Where does Jarrett play in the group? It's easy to see why Hogan/Bischoff aligned to form this super group, but why Jarrett? For EB and The Hulkster it's obviously because they were sick of seeing a women with no experience run a company that has so much potential. But Jarrett? Well Jarrett lost control of his company a while ago. So the idea he want's it back seems to be an unlikely idea. So what's his motivation?
- Where will Fourtune fall into this angle? Will Flair stand up for what is good and go after The Super Group or will they stand pat and see who else stands up for the company first. Will Flair be invited in to the group? Imagine the power a group with Bischoff/Hogan/Flair/Jarrett would have in TNA. Backed by Morgan and Abyss, two incredibly powerful men. Beer Money Inc the best tag team in pro wrestling, Kazarian, a shoe in to go after the X-Title soon. And of coarse A.J. Styles and Jeff Hardy. A men who's own history out dates many in the group, hell many in the company. If Flair does decide to venture to the side of his hated rival Hogan, will Hardy and Styles co-exist?
- This of coarse isn't even the start of the questions. The biggest one is what will happen to Kurt Angle? He did not win the title. But he also didn't expect Bischoff to give an assist Steve Nash style to Jeff Hardy either. Will he fight back for honor or will he, even under very shady pretenses, go after this group that's forming.
- Not to mention the questions surrounding, The Shore (a very hated gimmick), Mr. Anderson, Team 3D, The Motor City Machineguns and more.
It's safe to say that TNA has set themselves up for an exciting ride, a ride that I hope many of you give a chance too. Short column today, I'll be back in a few days with an ode to wrestling fans.