As I was wandering around the 'net trying to find something new, unbiased and optomistic about my Detroit Lions (yeah...right) I stumbled across the Bleacher report. I liked whatI was seeing, and joined. After all, I am a fan with an opinion, and this seemed a good place to be. Imagine my surprise when I received an email from Zander from Bleacher Report asking me to write a 250 word article about the NFL. What...do I look like a sports writer? I live on Guam, a beautiful island in the Pacific Ocean, so except for football season, do not spend allot of time watching TV or on the computer. His request kind of amused me, but the more I thought of it, the more the idea appealed to me. Of course, utilizing my best Guam time table, I am late (sorry Zander from Bleacher Report), but for what its worth, here is my two cents worth. Please remember that I am not a writer, and what you see is largely opinions based on what news I get. As new facts come to light, I also reserve the right to alter my opinion. I must tell you that I really don't see anything real shocking or any 'surprise' teams on this years horizon. Business as usual. That said, here ar a few items that I think will make headlines as the season wears on.
Things to look for this season
1. The Lions will go 14 - 2, win the NFC, and the Superbowl. Oh, sorry. Wrong universe. I must have been having my usual pre season fantasy. In all honesty, I see the Lions going 8 - 8 this year. But it is not enough, Matt Millon gets the ax. (In all realty, I don't see anything less than a playoff appearance saving his job) Of course, this will probably mean new coach and (AAAGGGHHH!!) yet another new system and rebuilding year. We can't win!!
2. The Dolphins have their Quarterback, and his name is Chad. But I don't mean Pennington. Chad Henne will see more action as the season goes on, and at some point late in the season will take over as starter. He will make his share of mistakes, but this is to be expected. Henne will probably not put up Brady or Manning type numbers, but despite this, will have the Dolphins in the playoffs, (depending on the draft and free agency,) possibly next year.
3. Brett Farve will do well this season, but not well enough. The Jets are not quite there, and the Patriots are still in post season form (on paper anyhow). And giving them the benefit of the doubt, I don't see 10 - 6 as a wild card team in the AFC.
4. J. Jackson proves better than given credit for and the Vikings take the NFC North. In fact, I think they will make the NFC Championship game, but will loose to:
5. DALLAS (aaaggghh!) I hang my head in shame as even I see that (at this point anyhow) the Cowboys will make the Superbowl this year. Unless of course somebody wants to buy Jessica Simpson season tickets!!
6. Althouth the Patriots do not repeat last years undefeated season, they are still the best of the AFC. I can see San Diego getting to the championship, but the Patriots beat them again, and go on to win the Superbowl.