What are the residual effects going to be with these following issues that are going on? Being a Raiders fan, I am going to start with my team.
1. Javon Walker and his thought of retirement - I think this guy is going through a whole stream of emotions. His friend was murdered right next to him, he was beat to a pulp and left unconscious on a street in Las Vegas.
He was black-flagged by his team. I think what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, most of the time. Al Davis likes to give misfits, malcontents and whoever else is basically castaway, a chance.
So hopefully, Javon Walker takes this and runs with it. He's being paid an extreme amount of money. Money that nobody else would probably have paid to have him. He needs to produce.
2. Tommy Kelly - His suspect knee is what I will be watching the start of this season. This guy is taking over for the "QB Killa" himself, Warren Sapp, so he better be on his toes. I see a slow start from Kelly, but a raging lunatic by about midway season.
3. Chad Johnson - Mr. Ocho-Cinco is definitely playing for Cincinnati. But is he gonna "play" to his fullest abilities. I think he will. If Chad wants to play for any team next year, including Cincy, he will play hard. And Cincy needs him to play, especially now that Henry is gone. Expect a good fantasy year for Ocho-Cinco.
4. Steve Smith - The Panthers suspend their star receiver 2 games for fighting with his teammate Ken Lucas. San Diego and Chicago are the first 2 games. Look at the Panthers to start the season 0-2 thanks to Smith.
5. Brandon Marshall - This Bronco's WR is costing him team a few games. 2 games if he's lucky. Due to violating the league's substance abuse policy, Marshall will be out for awhile.
No news as to how long yet, but it will probably be at least 2 games. One of these being Oakland and the other San Diego, plus the departure of their Safety Lynch, they are in for a fight.
6. Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert - The Kansas City Chiefs had an OL and a DL hit. Dorsey, one of the Chiefs 1st Rd draft picks, is out for now with a strain to his left knee. As of right now, the team states that it isn't that serious, but with knee's you never know.
Albert, the other Chiefs' 1st Rd draft pick, who sprained his foot, is expected to be out for at least a week. If these turn out to be more than is projected, than there is a problem. Former Chief Jared Allen has left the building, the NFL sack leader with 15 1/2, there's STILL a big hole to fill.
7. "Tank" Johnson and "Pacman" Jones - If these two can stay out of trouble, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Not much else to say, that hasn't been said. They just need to behave.
8. Antonio Gates, Phillip Rivers, LaDanian Tomlinson - Gates and his toe. If this guy doesn't get that toe back to it's normal state, watch the Chargers struggle just a bit. Add to that, LT, who's nursing an MCL injury that didn't require surgery, who knows how well that will be.
Only time will tell. Rivers who had knee surgery, is another question mark. Now I know that the Charger fans will want run a little smack for me saying that, but when your top three players are coming off significant injuries, only actual playing time will tell if there is cause for concern.
If the injuries don't factor, look for the Chargers to probably take 1st in the AFC West again, but with the Raiders not too far behind. (A little biased, give me credit)
9. Fabian Washington - The Ravens CB will be out for 1 game for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. Not a huge setback for the Ravens, let's just leave it at that.
10. Jason Taylor - Miami will definitely feel the effect of this one. Is Parcells getting old or what? Why on earth would you get rid of one of the best DE's in the business? Because he was on "Dancing with the Stars". Who cares?? The man had 117 sacks in 10 years with the Dolphins. That's 11.7 average. ?????
11. Staying with the Dolphins, the QB situation is poor. You have John Beck, Josh McCown and Chad Henne(R). None of these guys are showing any signs of clear cut starter.
Another year of bad QB shuffling from the Dolphins. If I had to pick one, I probably would pick McCown to start, only because he has more experience. I'm not saying that he's gonna be great, but out of the three he'll be the best choice.
12. Brett Favre - Well it's been announced that Brett Favre is reinstated and will compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job up in Green Bay.
I feel bad for Aaron. How crappy is this? "Hey kid, thanks for the three years in the shadow of Favre, it's time for you to step up and take the starting job. The reigns are yours.
Tick, tock, tick, tock...Sorry Aaron, Favre can't make up his mind, so we're gonna make you fight to keep your starting job against one of the best QB's in the league.
Don't be nervous, he was only your mentor for three years." This is not right. How is the team gonna handle this situation?
Is this gonna cause animosity? Probably, I know that if I was Aaron, I would be ticked off. Can't wait to see how this pans out.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!