Detroit Tigers vs. Chicago White Sox: Series Preview
The Tigers come into this pivotal series 19-28 versus their American League Central foes and this is one of the biggest divisional series of the season. Detroit has won five of the 13 match ups between themselves and the White Sox this season but only won a single game in their last series. That series brought the end of Todd Jones' life as a closer this season when he gave up a home run to Jermaine Dye to win the game for Chicago.
The White Sox have recently lost possession of the division to the Twins and they look to regain the divisional lead with this series versus Detroit.
The addition of Ken Griffey Jr. at the Trade Deadline was a huge deal for the White Sox, as it adds depth to the outfield and designated hitter positions. After a recent brawl with the Royals some Sox players may be unavailable for this series but specifics are no available right now.
Aug. 5 (8:10pm ET): DET: Nate Robertson (6-8) vs. CWS: Gavin Floyd (11-6)
- Robertson's lifetime record versus the White Sox is 6-6 with a 5.00 ERA which is actually a lot better than most of his work lately. In two of his last three starts has failed to get past the third inning. In his last start he gave up eight earned runs and two homers.
- In Floyd's last start he allowed one earned run on four hits over 7 2/3 innings versus the Twins. This season Gavin is 2-0 versus Detroit and is 7-2 this season home at U.S. Cellular.
Aug. 6 (8:10pm ET): DET: Justin Verlander (8-11) vs. CWS: John Danks (8-4)
- Verlander has cooled off his last two starts, losing both after winning the four before that. In the last start versus the Indians he gave up six earned runs over 5 2/3 innings although he struck out nine. The White Sox have owned Verlander this season, Justin is 1-3 with a 6.15 ERA.
- John Danks still hasn't lost since May 24. His last start against the Twins he got a no decision after giving up four runs over six innings. He beat the Tigers in their last series battle and Danks is 3-3 at home this season.
Aug. 7 (8:10pm ET): DET: Zach Miner (5-4) vs. CWS: Javier Vasquez (8-9)
- The new Tiger's fifth starter had two solid starts before falling to the Rays in his last start. Miner scattered eight hits and three earned runs over 5 1/3 innings. Miner has struggled at U.S. Cellular in his career, going 0-3 with a 7.93 ERA.
- Friday versus Kansas City was Vasquez's first win since June 17th. He went six innings and allowing only two runs. The start versus the Royals was the first time he had allowed less than three runs since May 31st.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DETROIT
Expect the Tigers to leave nothing on the field. I believe the Tigers' will play their best baseball of the season in this series.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM CHICAGO
Expect the White Sox to try to regain first place in the AL Central. Their bats will be their like always, but their bullpen needs to show up as well.
KEY PLAYERS IN THE SERIES
DET: Bullpen—if they get a lead late in the game, they need to hold onto it.
CWS: Jermaine Dye—he powered his team past Detroit last time, can he do it again?
PREDICTION: Tigers Win 2 of 3
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?