Coach : Craig MacTavish
Captain : Ethan Moreau
Assistant Captains : Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, Jarret Stoll and Steve Staios
Most games played : Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano, Tom Gilbert, Marty Reasoner, Steve Staios (82)
Most goals : Dustin Penner (23)
Most assists: Ales Hemsky (51)
Most points : Ales Hemsky (71)
Highest +/- rating : Robert Nilsson, Curtis Glencross (8)
Most penalty minutes : Zack Stortini (201)
Most powerplay goals : Dustin Penner (13)
Most shorthanded goals : Jarret Stoll (3)
Most game winning goals : Andrew Cogliano (5)
Most shots : Dustin Penner (201)
Highest shooting percentage : Andrew Cogliano (18,4)
Top scoring defenseman : Tom Gilbert (33)
Top scoring center : Shawn Horcoff (50)
Top scoring right wing : Ales Hemsky (71)
Top scoring left wing : Dustin Penner (47)
- Sam Gagner, 49 points - Andrew Cogliano, 45 points
- Tom Gilbert, 33 points - Curtis Glencross, 25 points
- Denis Grebeshkov, 18 points
- Sam Gagner, C - Dustin Penner, LW - Andrew Cogliano, LW
- Robert Nilsson, RW - Tom Gilbert, D - Kyle Brodziak, C
- Joni Pitkanen, D - Curtis Glencross, LW - Denis Grebeshkov, D
- Geoff Sanderson, LW - Sheldon Souray, D - Mathieu Garon, G
- On February 19th 2008, in a game against Nashville, Denis Grebeshkov scored the Oilers’ 8,000th franchise goal.
- Goaltender Mathieu Garon didn’t lose a shootout during the year, with a record of 10-0, saving 30 of 32 shots and accumulating a saving percentage of .938 (leading the league in that department).
- Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner were ranked 3rd and 5th in shootout goals during the year, with 6 (Hemsky) and 5 (Gagner).
- The Oilers were the youngest team in the NHL in 2007-08 with an average age of 25.4 years old. Sam Gagner was also the youngest player in the NHL at 18 years old.
- During the second half of the season, the Oilers were one of the best teams in the league despite the absence of Raffi Torres, Shawn Horcoff, Matt Greene, Sheldon Souray, Ethan Moreau, Geoff Sanderson and Mathieu Garon, all for a long period of time.
Masterton Trophy : Fernando Pisani was nominated for this award after battling through ulcerative colitis and returning to the Oilers line-up after missing the first 22 games of the season. He went on to play every remaining game.
All-Rookie Team : Sam Gagner
All-star game : Shawn Horcoff (won the fastest skater competition)
IIHF : Craig MacTavish (CAN), Sam Gagner (CAN), Mathieu Garon (CAN), Steve Staios (CAN), Joni Pitkanen (FIN), Robert Nilsson (SWE), Matt Greene (USA), Tom Gilbert (USA), Ladislav Smid (CZE), Denis Grebeshkov (RUS)
Records beaten in 2007-2008
Franchise records :
- Most goals by a rookie defenseman : 13, Tom Gilbert (previous record : 9)
- Most overtime goals by a rookie in a season : 3, Andrew Cogliano (previous record : 2)
- Most man-games lost due to injury
League records :
- Fastest lap around the rink at a skills competition (unofficial) : 13.37 secs., Curtis Glencross (previous record : 13.385 secs.)
- Most shootouts in which participated : 19 (previous record : 13)
- Most shootout victories : 15 (previous record : 12)
- Most consecutive overtime winners : 3, Andrew Cogliano (previous record : 2)
2008 Oilers Skills Competition
Fastest skater : Curtis Glencross (lap around the rink in 13.37 secs.)
Hardest shot : Jarret Stoll (101.4 mph)
Shootout : Dustin Penner (2 shots/2goals)
Most precise shot : Fernando Pisani (7 shots/6 targets hit)
1st round (22nd overall) : Jordan Eberle, C, Regina (WHL)
4th round (103rd overall) : Johan Motin, D, Bofors (Sweden-2)
5th round (133rd overall) : Philippe Cornet, LW, Rimouski, (QMJHL)
6th round (163rd overall) : Teemu Hartikainen, C, Kalpa Jr. (Finland-Jr.)
7th round (193rd overall) : Jordan Bendfeld, D, Medicine Hat (WHL)
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!