After watching the Mets throw away lots of money on one of their favorite charities,, I wondered what other charities do the Mets contribute to. Since we are not spending our money at Citi Field, lets help out some of these charities.
Here are some Mets charities I located from around the web:
- The Mets main listed charity is their foundation at Sportsphilanthropy.com. The projects goal is to reverse the epidemic of childhood obesity by the year 2015, a worthwhile goal especially since they are in the business of sports.
- Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling back a charity at www.pitchinforagoodcause.org. Starting in 2010, Gary, Keith, and Ron have united to support one special organization, The Nourishing Kitchen of NYC, a community food program that strives to achieve nutrition for all in NYC. To learn more about the program you can visit Eatwellnyc.org.
- Wounded Warrior Project – and have both lent their names to this project. The mission of Wounded Warrior Project is to honor and empower wounded warriors. Major League Baseball players are honoring the sacrifices made by our nation’s wounded warriors by launching an exclusive line of military-themed licensed products to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.
- David Wright Foundation – The sole purpose and mission of the David Wright foundation is to provide financial support and raise awareness for those in need and to financially support other charitable organizations. The foundation pays special attention to Multiple Sclerosis and children’s causes, and maintains its focus on the New York City and Norfolk, Virginia metropolitan areas.
- Foundation– The Johan Santana Foundation funds worthy programs that focus on education and healthcare domestically and abroad. Johan has underwritten community-based initiatives that educate and counsel youth on health-related issues, and has also provided critical funding for melanoma research. Unfortunately, I cannot locate a website for Johan’s Foundation.
- Carlos Beltran Foundation – The foundation’s mission is to allow adolescence to become well-rounded individuals and teach them to take control of their future by way of sports and education. The opening video includes Omar Minaya speaking. He’s actually a pretty good speaker when not at a press conference.
- Carlos Delgado – I know everyone is very happy to have Extrabases.org Foundation in Puerto Rico. at first base but our former 1st baseman, Carlos Delgado was and still is actively involved in the
- Darryl Strawberry Foundation – Darryl and his third wife, Tracy, have founded “The Darryl Strawberry Foundation,” an organization dedicated to children with autism.
- Pedro Martinez Foundation – A strong believer in education and opportunity, Pedro and his foundation provide funds to various programs, helping schools and programs to acquire necessary materials. The Foundation has also helped in the healthcare area, assisting several hospitals with special surgeries for children with medical issues such as heart conditions, tumors and leukemia.
- Anna Benson – No Met fan can forget Anna Benson! Did you know she organized the first Take Your Dog to Shea day? All proceeds benefited the North Shore Animal League. She documents her charity work at www.annabenson.net/charity
I think it’s very important that people who are in a position to help others do so. Do you think the Mets do enough?
I hope more Mets players step up and support some of our local charities. If anyone knows of any additional charities the Mets support that I missed, drop a comment. I would love to add it to the list.