I Love Bad Reality TV: Love it, like Courtney Love loved Kurt Cobain, like People love to join Gyms in Dec, like I loved masturbating in high school. I love it because it’s like the low self esteem Olympics.
And in keeping up with the latest and best(Worst) of reality TV I was inevitably drawn to VH1's new show "Basketball Wives."
The Show is ironically titled as only one of the girls is actually still married and she's married to noted NBA "star" Erick Williams formerly of The Boston Celtics.
To give you an idea of how trashy these women are Shaq and Dwight howard have both filed lawsuits to keep their respective names out of the show. In fact the only way to figure out why Dwight Howard's baby mama Royce Reed is even on the show is to google her.
For those of you who haven't seen the show, I'll break it down for you, with an easy to follow Power Ranking.
1. The leader and producer of Basketball Wives is Shaunie O'neal, the former wife and baby mama of the original Superman; Shaquille o'Neal. She's not on camera much, but when she does grace us with her appearance, she's clearly the Queen Bee of this group. In fact you can even see it when two the girls go out with Royce because Shaunie wants them to.
2. Evelyn Lozada is the former fiancee of Antoine Walker, who finally after 10 years of putting up with Antioine (Coincidentally while he was rich) she finally ended up fed up (Coincidentally when he went bankrupt). Evelyn is clearly a goldigger who wants us to feel bad for her for taking advantage of Antoine for over a decade. They never actually got married but were engaged for 10 years while she was busy getting him to set her up with a shoe store on Collins Ave and a high rise apartment in South Beach. She also seems to have the second most influence on the show as evidenced by her "guidance" she offers Jennifer.
3. Jennifer Willams, is the only member of the cast who is still married and she's very outspoken about the fact that her husband is not faithful and that she's thinking about whether to stay or go. The best scenes thus far this season have all involved Jennifer and either Erick or her Rival "Plastic Surgery" a "model" who has been flirting with her husband. Jennifer seems like she is trapped in the honeycage of not wanting to let go of her lifestyle, yet clearly she is barely able to tolerate her husband. As she reveals they haven't had sex in 6 months.
4. Gloria Govan is engaged to Matt Barnes of The Orlando Magic, and has two kids with him. Apparently her sister( who was engaged to Gilbert Arenas) also had an affair with Shaq and was one of the reasons that Shaunie eventually filed for divorce. So there's some dramatic potential there, even though Matt Barnes and Gloria seem like they both fairly normal, but they did agree to be on the show, so probably not.
5. Susie Ketcham was formerly the fiancee/girlfriend of Michael Olawokandi. Which is just kind of sad that someone dated Olowakandi. She also threw a drink on "Plastic Surgery" in defense of Jennifer in the last episode. Susie's ethnicity seems to vary from show to show depending on makeup...
6. Royce Reed is Dwight Howard's ex-gf as well as the Mother of his son. She's a former dancer which brings up the natural rivalry between wives and dancers since they both see the other as the enemy. Royce's major claim to fame at this point of the season is a booty shaking dance that had Terrell Owen's undivided attention.In tonight's episode she boxes Gloria. I can't make this stuff up.
7. Erikka Moxam the former GF of Rasual Butler and the least attractive in shape member of the posse. She seems like she's the token "fat chick that keeps it real".
This show is hysterical, not quite as much drama as The Real Housewives of New York, but more than enough to keep you satisfied. Plus the scenes with Erick Williams alone will keep you doubled over in laughter.