Floyd Mayweather Jr. shut up his haters last night. He put on the best performance of his career against the best opponent he has ever faced.
He totally outclassed Shane Mosley. He made the fight look easy after he got rocked in the second round.
I don't want to make this sound like I am bashing Shane Mosley. He is a hell of a fighter and fought a gutsy fight. He was just outclassed.
I really want to direct this to the legion of haters that Mayweather has. I am no Mayweather fan, but I do enjoy watching him in the ring. He is truly amazing.
His defense, speed, and reflexes can't be matched. I will say it now: There isn't a fighter in the world that can beat him right now. With last night's win he took over as the pound-for-pound No. 1.
My real question is, how are the Mayweather haters going to spin this one to make it look like a soft win? It just can't be done.
I have a lot of thoughts and want to keep them organized so I am going to list them.
1. Mayweather beat a man his size. Everyone gets on him for beating up on smaller men.
That may be the case but last night he beat a legit welterweight.
2. He outclassed a man who was thought to have a good shot at beating him. All the haters yelled loudly that Mosley was going to be the man to beat "Money" May.
That just didn't happen. Mayweather eats up fighters that come right to you and that is what Mosley did. He didn't have a good enough jab or good enough defense to win.
3. You can't hit what you can't see. Mayweather again proved last night that he has the best defense in the game.
Mosley caught him in the second round and then fell off the face of the earth. He landed three punches in one of the rounds. Truly amazing defense.
4. Mayweather didn't tuck his tail and go home when he got rocked. In the second round he got hurt badly.
It is the worst he has ever got hurt in a prizefight. Many haters say he doesn't want to fight and if he got hit he would call it a day.
He didn't do that at all. He tied up, like he should have, never panicked and won every round for the rest of the fight.
5. He put on an offensive clinic. He wasn't the best offensive fighter ever last night but he amped it up.
He threw a lot more than he usually did. He had Shane in trouble and landed a lot of good shots.
6. Do not blame Mosley's age. Mosley is old at 38 but he was being praised as the guy to beat Mayweather.
7. He broke Mosley's will. You could just see the look on Mosley's face and it said I am getting beat up and can't stop it.
I have never seen Mosley have that look on his face. He was totally discouraged and looked mentally broken down.
Most people will go back on what they said and go, "Well Shane is 38." You can't blame age after you said Mosley was the man to beat Mayweather.
I can hear it now. People will say Mayweather didn't go for the knockout, Mosley was old, he made Mosley wait in the ring, he hung on when hurt.
There will be 1,000 excuses about what Mayweather did wrong. The problem with that is, Mayweather shut up the haters last night.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!