Late Goal from Dew Gets FC Gold Pride 3 Points

Alondra HernandezContributor IApril 25, 2010

Carrie Dew came through for FC Gold Pride on Saturday night as she scored her first goal of the season in the 89th minute to give her team a 2-1 win over the Atlanta Beat.

The first half of the match was very physical, and between both teams, there were a total of nine fouls, two cautions issued to Rachel Buehler and the Beat's McCall Zerboni. The Beat's first overall draft pick, Tobin Heath, was carried off the field in the 20th minute with a right ankle injury.

Two goals were scored in the first half, and Pride got on the board first. Tiffeny Milbrett, who shot against her former teammate, Allison Whitworth, now a starter for the Atlanta Beat, scored in the 10th minute on a pass from French international Camile Abilly.

Fourteen minutes later, Monica Ocampo, assisted by Angie Kerr, scored the equalizer for the Beat.

"I have to give credit to Atlanta because they came out and high pressured us all over the field," said Montoya.

Both teams came out with more composure in the second half but no less motivated to earn the win.  Despite some quality scoring chances for both teams the game remained at a stalemate until the 89th minute of play when Carrie Dew headed in her first goal of the season on a cross from defender Ali Riley to put her team up 2-1 and seal the victory for the Pride.

"I saw the ball up in the air and I had a clear shot at it," explained Dew, who after several close chances converted her last-minute opportunity.  "I just wanted to put it on frame and luckily I did."

FC Gold Pride head coach, Albertin Montoya was happy with the outcome and to get 3 points out of this game. "Would I rather have a loss and play well or get an ugly win? I'd rather get an ugly win. Three points goes a long ways and any given team can win," he said.

The Pride will make their first trip across the country as they face WPS Champions Sky Blue FC on Sunday May 1st in a game that will be broadcast live on FSC at 6 p.m. ET.