Ike Davis made his major league debut and the Mets beat the Cubs 6-1 in the series opener behind a strong performance by Jon Niese and a five-run outburst in the 7th sparked by a two-run Angel Pagan home run.
- The Mets sent down Tobi Stoner before the game to make room on the roster for Ike Davis .
- Davis wore no. 29 and went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Jon Niese pitched 5.2 innings allowing just one run, unearned, with three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Fernando Nieve and Jenrry Mejia went a combined 3.1 innings allowing just one hit, with two walks, and two strikeouts.
- Luis Castillo went 1-for-4 driving in the first run in the 5th.
- Angel Pagan went 1-for-4 and put the Mets ahead in the 7th with a two-run homer.
- Later that inning Jason Bay , who went 2-for-3 with a walk, doubled in David Wright who walked and stole second. Wright also went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Davis then got his first RBI when he singled in Bay.
- Jeff Francoeur , who went 0-for-4, then scored on a wild pitch by Sean Marshall.
- Jose Reyes did not play after he asked for a day off.
- It’s great to see Jon Niese pitch so well today although he did get some help from Citi’s cavernous outfield.
- The bullpen continues to impress. The attraction of having Jenrry Mejia in the majors now is that he does improve their depth.
- The offense is easily capable of having more days like today. Despite what I’ve written in the past , upgrading the Mets is going to be a big deal because of how bad Mike Jacobs and Fernando Tatis have been. They were worse than you really could have expected.
- If Angel Pagan keeps hitting and Davis adjusts quickly , offensive outbreaks like today’s will happen a lot more often.
Line of the Night
- Ike Davis: 2-for-4 with an RBI in his major league debut. Manager Jerry Manuel said after the game that he was impressed with how Davis wasn’t fazed by what was going on around him. Could he challenge Jason Heyward for the Rookie of the Year award or is that putting too much pressure on him?
- The Mets have yet to win a single series against anybody this season and if they could win a four game series, as they are playing now, that would go a long way in getting fans to back away from the edge. I’m going to go out and say that the rest of the series is lined up so it’s possible the Mets could even sweep this series. They just need some offense.
- Tuesday, April 20: RHP Carlos Zambrano (1-1, 9.45 ERA) vs. RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-0, 1.29 ERA).
- Wednesday, April 21: RHP Carlos Silva (1-0, 0.69 ERA) vs. LHP Oliver Perez (0-1, 3.75 ERA).
- Thursday, April 22: LHP Tom Gorzelanny (0-1, 1.93 ERA) vs. LHP Johan Santana (1-1, 3.00 ERA).