Realising that many Bleacher Report readers are not Italian speakers, I have posted below a summary of the main events so far in the latest Calciopoli trial in Naples.
Many new wire-tap phone calls have been uncovered by the defense team of former Juventus Director Luciano Moggi. These show the involvement of most Serie A teams and make it clear the idea of a "Moggi system" is wrong.
Judge Casoria opened the hearing by allowing the court to listen to a number of phone calls in which then-Inter president Giacinto Facchetti spoke to referee designators. Moggi’s legal team questioned why the Inter evidence was not part of the original trial in 2006. Lead investigator Attilio Auricchio could not find an answer.
Asked by Moggi’s Lawyer Trofino, Colonello Auricchio said he knew Facchetti had gone to referee designator Bergamo’s house on a number of occasions.
“If you ask me about Facchetti then I am aware of this, but I am not aware of [Massimo] Moratti going” Auricchio said. “The phone call where Facchetti asks Collina about the referee grid with Bergamo was transcripted, but we thought it was not important.”
Trofino responded, “Ah, but instead you thought the phone calls to Bergamo’s house in which the wives speak about the dinner menu were important.” These calls were included in the first trial.
Some inside the court laughed.
During the interrogation, Auricchio confirmed that ex-referees Collina, Paparesta, and De Santis were not friends of Moggi’s and had no exclusive relationship with Juventus.
Trofino asked, “Can you confirm that these referees were not friends of Moggi?”
Auricchio replied, “Of course Collina, but also Trefoloni and Paparesta…Even though Paparesta had called and went to Canossa to Moffi after the game in Reggio. But I cannot say he was a friend of Juve’s. Trefoloni was like Bergamo’s son, even though nothing came out on Juventus.”
Trofino then hit out at the accusation of association to defraud. “I think it’s a ramshackle accusation because in the draw for referees, not one ref was a friend of Juventus.”
Shortly after, defense counselor Nicola Penta confirmed Moggi was never the first to know which referees had been assigned. In fact, the court heard that Inter knew the referees for matches before anyone else on one occasion, up to two and three days before games.
Penta told the court, “Moggi was not the first to know the name of the assistant referees. In reality, we have documents and recordings which show that Moggi was third to know.
"There was once a time when Facchetti called the vice designator Mazzei on the Thursday at 17:50 and he obtained names that were only made public the next day. Then (Milan Director) Meani was next to know after receiving two text messages on the Friday morning at 11:15. Moggi then received a penal charge because he received the names on the same Friday at 11:53.”
Judge Casoria then closed the hearing and confirmed the evidence presented by Moggi’s defense team was admissible and key to the case. She adjourned the trial until April 20, the day Inter play Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final. The court confirmed former Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti will be summoned to the next hearing to give evidence in relation to the new findings that were uncovered today.
As Moggi left the court he was treated to a round of applause by Juventus fans outside. Moggi told Radio Radio after the hearing: “I’m happy that there are people who still support me”
For a deeper, more detailed look at the trial, click here
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!