The Rangers announced their 2009-10 team awards last night. The awards are voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
Here are the awards:
- Winner: Henrik Lundqvist
Players’ Player Award
- Winner: Chris Drury
- The award is given out to the player who “best exemplifies what it means to be a teammate.
The John Halligan Good Guy Award
- Winners: Erik Christensen and Vinny Prospal
- This award is voted on by the Rangers’ media.
- It recognizes players’ cooperation with the media. Or whoever gives the best interviews.
The Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award
- Winner: Ryan Callahan
- This award is voted on by the fans.
- It recognizes a player who “performs above and beyond the call of duty.”
Thoughts: These awards are all pretty straightforward and expected. I think the only one that wouldn’t have been an easy guess is the John Halligan award. Although I think we all knew that Sean Avery or head coach John Tortorella wouldn’t have gotten this one.
These have been some of the good guys on a team that, until recently, often lacked visible heart. I think only Brandon Dubinsky and Marc Staal are missing some recognition. Although both will have long careers and I’m sure they’ll be honored plenty during that career.
Here is a link to the press release .
- March 23, 2010—Rangers Keeping Faith but Truth is Bleak (0)
- April 7, 2010—An Ugly Night, but Rangers are Still Alive (0)
- April 6, 2010—Rangers Prep for Buffalo, Callahan & Boyle Skating (1)
- April 3, 2010—How They’re Getting it Done (0)
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!