World Football Transfer Updates: Samuel Eto'o To Chelsea? Arshavin To Arsenal?
Here's another rapid fire edition of the World Football Transfer Updates.
Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona-Chelsea?)
Samuel Eto'o, thrice African Footballer of the Year and already a European champion, scorer of the first goal as Barcelona came from behind to beat a 10-man Arsenal in 2006 (Juliano Belletti, who got the other, soon trod the path from Camp Nou to Stamford Bridge now taken by Deco, with perhaps Eto'o and Ronaldinho to follow), appears ready for a change of scene.
Eto'o, in whom Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham have also been credited with a serious interest, went on holiday insisting his future would not be decided until the Barcelona squad gathered to prepare for a new season under Pep Guardiola.
But it seems Guardiola, erstwhile conductor of the Camp Nou midfield, will point his baton at the door through which Deco walked; while the goals and defence-stretching pace of Eto'o will be harder to replace than Ronaldinho's faded showmanship, the time has come for fresh faces.
Chelsea's money package could be the deciding factor if Eto'o moves to Chelsea.
Chelsea have denied making a bid AC Milan's Kaka.
Andrei Arshavin (Zenit St Petersburg-Arsenal?)
Arsenal have emerged as favourites to sign Andrei Arshavin after Chelsea ended their interest in the Russian playmaker yesterday. Arshavin has his heart set on a move to London because he believes it will be more valuable for his children to learn English than Spanish.
The Russian forward, who excelled at Euro 2008, is expected in London this week after his coach at Zenit St Petersburg, Dick Advocaat, gave him 12 days off to resolve his future.
This means Arshavin's move to Chelsea is a real possibility.
Here are some other updates regarding the Transfer Season:
- Real Madrid have conceded defeat in their pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo, Ramon Calderon has revealed Manchester United will have to offer their player, otherwise "all deals are off."
- Arsenal, who are putting a brave face over the Adebayor saga are secretly preparing a bid for Manchester United target, Klaas Jan Huntelaar in case he moves to Barcelona.
- Peter Crouch is close to an £8 million move from Liverpool to Portsmouth.
- Liverpool are considering offering Jermaine Pennant for Newcastle's James Milner, who is also wanted by Aston Villa.
- Mikel Arteta has another week to decide whether he will stay at Everton or move to Atletico Madrid, the latter would mean Everton will have to bid for Blackburn's David Bentley.
- Liverpool are planning one final bid for Aston Villa's Gareth Barry using Steve Finnan as bait.
- West Ham are closing in on Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.
- Newcastle and Everton are both interested in signing Argentine International, Pablo Aimar.
That wraps up Transfer Updates for now.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?