What a season this was for the New Orleans Saints! For all of us Saints fans who have waited years for a season like this, and especially all of the fans who have waited since the team's beginning, this was a season that fulfilled so many people's hopes for the team. One aspect of this special season that really stood out to me was all of the new team records the Saints set, and this article today is dedicated to those accomplishments and historical records that were set this season. Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints, we love you guys! WHO DAT!
New team records set by the Saints this season:
* Most wins ever in a regular season- 13
* Longest win streak ever in regular season- 13
* Most post-season wins ever in a season- 3
* This was the first season the Saints were a #1 seed heading into the playoffs
* This was the first season the Saints hosted the NFC Championship game.
* This was the first season the Saints not only reached the Super Bowl, but also won the Super Bowl!
* The Saints also made league history by becoming the first team to reach and win the Super Bowl after losing their final three games of the regular season.
* The Saints tied a Super Bowl record for largest deficit overcome in the game to win it- the Colts at one point had a 10 point lead and the Saints overcame that deficit to win, tying the Super Bowl record.
Several Saints players also set records of their own this season:
Darren Sharper set an NFL record for interception return yardage in a single season.
Drew Brees set an NFL record for completion percentage in a single season.
The Saints are also one of the few teams un-defeated in Super Bowl appearances, they are currently 1-0, and hopefully will play in several more Super Bowls in my life-time! :)
P.S.- Fellow Saints and NFL fans, if there are possibly any records or firsts for the Saints that I forgot to mention, please feel free to add on the comments page! Thanks everyone!
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!